Cat converter making noise. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cat converter making noise.

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-17-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
glennv

Cat converter making noise.

I have what I thought was a loose pipe or something. I went to tighten up the exhaust and found that the rattle was coming from inside the cat converter. Any thoughts?

"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
glennv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
amaple

Your cat has quite a bit a crap inside (mainly ceramic and platinum) and over the years the ceramic will crack and pieces will form. There isn't really anything that you can do to fix it. This is what causes the rattling. Your cat is still working and it is not anything to worry about this minute, but in the end, a piece of this ceramic is going to end up clogging your tailpipe and you will find that your Jeep won't start. I have the same problem and have had it for two years now. I'm just going to gut the converter and put it back on. You can buy a new one if you desire, but they're not cheap.
good luck,
adam.

1974 CJ-5 ** dual Dana 44s ** only 55,000 original miles! ** no mods yet
Adam
amaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
arpy

Yep, mine did that until I had it replaced. Unless your year model's cat is different from mine (88), you can use a universal cat. I got one at a parts store, Walker brand, for less than $100 and had it welded in at my local exhaust shop.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 07:28 PM   #4
arpy

ok, just checked autozone.com for you, I assume its the 93 not the 01 with the problem. They show a direct fit cat for 93 for $129 and a universal for $79
Unread 08-17-2002, 08:02 PM   #5
amaple

Though I wasn't the one with the question, thanks. I thought I was looking at $300+ for a new cat so I was going to gut it. I didn't even know that there were universals for cats. Thanks.

1974 CJ-5 ** dual Dana 44s ** only 55,000 original miles! ** no mods yet
Adam
amaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 06:08 AM   #6
glennv

Thanks, One more question though. Does the direct fit clamp right in. It looks like all I need to do is pound it out of the pipes on each end and clamp it back together. I hope so because I can't weld. Thanks for the info. Glennv

"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Unread 08-18-2002, 10:30 AM   #7
Tomguy
2014 WK 

If it's like the muffler, yes, but if it's rusted, it's a PITA. I had to take the Dremel and cut slits on my old muffler to take it off, but it was VERY easy to put on. Just be careful not to ruin existing pipes.
Tomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 10:57 AM   #8
glennv

Ok one more question. I just bought the direct fit converter. The guy told me something about a tube going to the cat from the manifold. He said make sure I don't need it or I'll blow out my muffler. I took a look and didn't see anything like that.Does this sound right? Also, the length of the converter is the same as the old one but the converter itself looks a little bit smaller than the original. Is this ok? Thanks, GV

Unread 08-18-2002, 11:02 AM   #9
arpy

as long as the inlet and outlet are the same size as stock it should fit and work.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.