Car dies when I let off gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Car dies when I let off gas

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
jaredlangston

Car dies when I let off gas

My 99 cherokee sport died when I let off the gas. When I went to start it I had to give gas to even get it started. When I did start it as soon as I let off the gas it died. I checked underneath and no leaks or the smell of gas. So, I started it and gave it a little gas just enough to keep it from dying and put in real quick into drive. Drove around the parking lot just fine. When I stopped it didn't die ran fine. Pulled back into a spot turned it off and back on and it started right up. Drove it home. I'm going to let it sit for a couple hours and try to start it. Can anyone explain to me what happed and if I need to replace anything.

jaredlangston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
XJ1990

A few years back my moms '99 Grand Cherokee Limted had the same problem... Found out it was the IAC(Idle air control). Same symptoms and everything so that could be it.
AW4 Auto
Dana 35/30
NP242 TC
RE 3.5" Super-Ride
31X10.5 All Terrains

www.cotrails.com/forum
XJ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
stuartgray
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definately sounds like a minor problem. One of the many emissions related sensors most likely. Just gotta figure out which one
stuartgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 97 did that for a while and it completely went away when I replaced the battery.

You might want to get yours checked out before taking the problem too far....

....or else might occur.
DefaZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #5
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, check your batt.

Same thing happens to me every time I had to get a jump before I replaced the batt. My theory is that since the computer feeds directly off the battery and requires a certain amount of power for it to run, it will quit if the battery is not putting out enough juice. The only way to keep it from dying, is keeping the alternator output up enough to keep the battery strong. The funny thing is that the battery has enough juice to crank the engine, but not keep the electronics going. Once you build a significant battery charge, the motor will be able to idle normally (as what happened in your case). Let it sit overnight and see what happens.

Good Luck,

Peter

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 05:46 AM   #6
boandjill

Check your throttle body control

I had the same problem last year on my 99 SE. Had a filthy throttle body. As soon as a let off the gas, it would die. Had it cleaned and runs like a champ now.
boandjill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #7
ISLANDSURFER

I had the same exact problem with same exact Jeep... Took it to the dealer to figure it out because I heard it could have been many things but come to find out the service people told me my battery shorted.. They explained to me that the starter only needs a very little amount of juice to start but the because the battery was bad, the computer would act up... So, check you battery..
ISLANDSURFER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Kristina203
1996 ZJ 

96 Grand Cherokee dies when i start it if i let off the gas.

Hey yall, so i have a 1996 Grand cherokee limited. And my dad and everybody is used to working on Chevys so we aren't really sure what is going on. I try and start it and in order for it to start i have to keep pressing on the gas, once i let off the gas it just dies. I know its not electrical. Does anybody know the Real solution to this problem??
Kristina203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum.
All of the above are proven solutions to the problem.
Which one is right for you depends on what's causing this problem for your jeep, but at least now you've got a good idea of some basic things to check to figure out what your jeep needs.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina203 View Post
Hey yall, so i have a 1996 Grand cherokee limited. And my dad and everybody is used to working on Chevys so we aren't really sure what is going on. I try and start it and in order for it to start i have to keep pressing on the gas, once i let off the gas it just dies. I know its not electrical. Does anybody know the Real solution to this problem??
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Be nice. At least she went to the effort to search out some info relevant to her jeep's situation.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

OK, I'll shut up!!

Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

This holds true for most all vehicles with ecm. The ecm requires no less than 10 volts to operate correctly. So that leads to power.
1: clean battery cables
2: load test battery
3: most batteries are only good for 2-5 years depending in usage and demographic.
4: test alternator
5: make sure everything is off when you start. A/c lights stereos etc...
6: when you buy a battery make them load test it right there before you pay. Parts stores are infamous for retagging batteries that have sat beyond shelf life. Walmart doesn't do that.
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just to get this out there...
By pressing the gas pedal on an efi vehicle to start it. You're actually forcing the ecm to advance the timing. Essentially bypassing the problem that's nit allowing a normal start. This isn't a bad thing but it shouldn't be done all if the time.
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #15
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Your first 2 responses probably hit the nail on the head, just bought mine a few days ago with the exact same problem, had a bad battery with crappy cables and a loose connection to the battery and was throwing iac codes, replaced both, problem gone, and no more codes.
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.