Can't get out lower Ball joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can't get out lower Ball joint

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Can't get out lower Ball joint

So, after I got the stupid knuckle off (see my other thread) I was able to get the upper ball joint out pretty easily.

The lower... well, that's another story.

I've read 3 different guides. I have the rental tool from Autozone. It's pretty beafy. I put my 650ft/lb impact wrench on it and torqed it until the wrench would not turn anymore. Then I put my socket wrench on it, put a 3 foot pipe wrench on it, was able to turn it 3 more times before I sheared off the driver on the wrench.

So! Any tips? and yes, I've searched.

One thing I haven't tried is heat. Any tips would be appretiated. I can't work on it until I get a new wrench tommorow. I'm also concerned about destroying my rented tool... lol

CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Which way are you trying to move it? Up or down?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

down

This is an 89 and the ball joints never been changed.
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Air Hammer and heat usually works for me.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

The lower balljoints on my 89 were a mother to get out, you absolutely can not beat on them or it winds up "mushrooming" the top edge and wont allow them to push out....if it hasn't been beat on then I would make sure:
Uhohzone gave you the correct adapter w/ the press kit.
You're using the correct adapter.
The balljoint has been soaked with penetrating lube and allowed to sit long enough to get in there.
You're putting the press on straight, if you try pushing it out at the incorrect angle it will not budge!

And for future reference, using an impact on a balljoint press can send shrapnel at your head.....the correct method to removing a balljoint is slow and easy.

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

You might try rapping the yoke with a hammer after loading the press as much as possible. Sometimes, two hammers on opposite sides will do the trick. Penetrating oil will help, also.
Unread 10-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Just let it set over night. I did the same thing and went in to eat supper and then it started raining. Got up the next day and it had moved.
Unread 10-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Would it be possible to drill it out at all? It's REALLY stuck. I might pick up an air hammer at harbor freight tonight. They're only $20 right?
Unread 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've beaten it with a hammer.
I've bought an air hammer and beaten it until my compressor just failed

There's no way for me to get PB blaster in there... the metal looks fused together it's so old. Any other ideas?
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMopps View Post
I've beaten it with a hammer.
I've bought an air hammer and beaten it until my compressor just failed
Are you supporting the axle close to the ball joint? If not, much of the force will be absorbed by the suspension.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
justanotherjpr

Propane torch it, beat it with a hammer. Be sure you have a jack stand under the axle tube just behind the knuckle so all the force goes to the joint. It's just metal. It will eventually do what you want it to do.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

pretty close... I suppose I could get it closer.

So there's no nut/pin/ring that holds this thing on right? I can't see anything.
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
justanotherjpr

I just changed one last week. There is no magic answer, no pin, no lock ring, no tab. Try hitting the side of the knuckle instead of the head of the joint. Try flipping the press over and hitting it deeper in. Anything to try to break the corrosion. If the shaft is still in the joint. you can try hitting that, too. To avoid mushrooming the head, use two hammers.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Try hitting the side of the knuckle instead of the head of the joint.
I believe that the knuckle is already out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
If the shaft is still in the joint. you can try hitting that, too. To avoid mushrooming the head, use two hammers.
That would drive the ball joint in, not out. Not to mention that getting a good swing would be impossible unless the vehicle was on a lift.
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMopps View Post

So there's no nut/pin/ring that holds this thing on right? I can't see anything.
In some applications, that joint was secured with a circlip. But there should not be one on an XJ.

If I were you, I would load the joint as much as possible with the press. Then strike the sides of the axle yoke perpendicular to the joint. Use two large hammers st the same time, striking on opposite sides of the yoke. The objective is to send a deforming shock wave through the yoke that will break things loose. I have had good success with that technique, much better than beating the joint itself. Copious amounts of penetrating oil will also help. Kroil is the best if you can find some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.