can't figure out what this clunk is?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > can't figure out what this clunk is?!?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
96_Cherokee

can't figure out what this clunk is?!?!

Where to start... I bought a 96 cherokee about a month ago and I sometimes get this weird clunk that I can seem to figure out what it is. It happens only sometimes when I stop or if I really (goose it) from a slow speed it feels like it comes from the transmission area but the tranny mounts as well as the universal joints are fine. I took it to a very trust worthy mechanic and he put it up and the air and took it for a ride and of course didn't find anything and we couldn't reproduce the sound. The transmission shifts great except for an ocasional ruff shift into second for which I understand is pretty normal. It is an asain warner tranny and I have been told its a great tranny. I have done a little research and a couple people had an issue with the torque converter but to me this doesn't seem like its the problem. If anyone has had a similar experiance or any advice please post. Like I said all the usual suspects were checked out including the driveshaft and everything checks out

96_Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Try lubing your driveshaft slip joint.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Try lubing your driveshaft slip joint.
Agreed, some new grease in the slip yoke is what I'm inclined to recommend as well. Prior to 96, the rear driveshaft's slip yoke was internally lubricated by the xfer case, but 96+ has an external one that will clunk if not regreased. Lots of guys pack it with anti-seize and never have a problem with it again.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
96_Cherokee

Thanks guys, ill giv'er a shot n let ya'll know. I love this forum everyone is always super helpful!
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

FYI, I did this on my 88 and 90...and.my clunk(s) went away...I did not know that it was a post 95 thing, but it did the trick anyway, and been fine (great even) ever since.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
too_low
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Exhaust on cross member? sometimes will give an occasional clunk when the engine torques
too_low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
96_Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_low View Post
Exhaust on cross member? sometimes will give an occasional clunk when the engine torques
Checked it, but your right that can be a commen problem on a lot of vehicles I have noticed
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Crockoman
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had this on my 96 as well and found that my right side motor mount was starting to come apart. Once I replaced that the mysterious clunk went away. My buddy has a 96 as well and his clunk turned out to be nothing more then the nut missing from the evap canister where it attaches to the body which would allow it to bounce around a bit.
Crockoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.