Can you swap jeep cherokee computer with grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can you swap jeep cherokee computer with grand cherokee

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
jonnyboy99

Can you swap jeep cherokee computer with grand cherokee

Yeah man i'm a new member. WooHoo!

Got a Question. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited inline 6 4.0L. I think my computer is bad but not sure. I'm getting no spark at the plugs. I've read on here about people having the "no spark" issue and have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and ignition coil. Still no spark. My next guess is to replace the cars computer. (also none of my gauges work.)

I want to know if i can swap out a computer from a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and put it in my jeep cherokee. Are they compatible?? Many thanks!

jonnyboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

That PCM will not work for many reasons
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ASD relay comes to mind, but that might be for fuel not spark.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

If you're hell-bent on changing the computer, go get one from the junkyard. But, why not do some testing first?
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the computer from a 99 will work in your 98, I can make you a deal, but I doubt it's the computer.

No gauges and no spark is typically the crank position sensor. Is yours the one hole or two hole sensor? Are you getting NO BUS on odometer?
Unread 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
jonnyboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
If the computer from a 99 will work in your 98, I can make you a deal, but I doubt it's the computer.

No gauges and no spark is typically the crank position sensor. Is yours the one hole or two hole sensor? Are you getting NO BUS on odometer?

I've already replaced the crank position sensor. It is the 2 hole type. Odometer reads fine, 168,xxx. The ASD relay is fine. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail. Have checked all fuses. I'm not getting power to the ignition coil. (tested with voltmeter)

How do you know if the computer is bad and/or how do you test it?? thanks guys!
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If you can find a 96-99 computer for an I-6 engine you can swap it in there. Chances are it's not the computer.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
hobo2

i check the fuse in side the jeep it a 20 or 25 amp fuse check owner manual said starter
hobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
jonnyboy99

Ok we ended up putting the computer from the Grand Cherokee in there and now we are getting spark. So know i need a computer for my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited I6.
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You could get one at your local scrap yard , try posting in the wanted section , try ebay , or try contacting Kolak@AOL.com .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Scrap yard, got one for $50, but it didn't end up curing anything for the jeep I was messing with.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #12
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is kind of off the wall, but make sure your fuse box on the passenger fender is bolted down tight. Some guy was having the same issues as you and it turned out to be a poor ground at the PDC or whatever it's called.
Unread 10-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
bobbito1287

i have a 1995 jeep cherokee 4.0 6 cylinder and recently all the gauges but the battery and oil gauges stopped working along with my windshield wipers wont wipe anymore. I took it to a shop and the tested it to see what could be wrong but all they could come up with is that maybe the PCM is malfunctioning and to replace. Could it maybe be something else since all other electric works ie radio, turn signals, lights, and how could i test it myself?
bobbito1287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbito1287 View Post
i have a 1995 jeep cherokee 4.0 6 cylinder and recently all the gauges but the battery and oil gauges stopped working along with my windshield wipers wont wipe anymore. I took it to a shop and the tested it to see what could be wrong but all they could come up with is that maybe the PCM is malfunctioning and to replace. Could it maybe be something else since all other electric works ie radio, turn signals, lights, and how could i test it myself?
Since the PCM is not involved with wiper operation in ANY way, the shop is obviously totally guessing (and incorrectly at that!!!)

I would bet your issue is either a loose or corroded connector where the wiring goes through the firewall, or a bad ground. It's certainly NOT the PCM.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
bobbito1287

PCM wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Since the PCM is not involved with wiper operation in ANY way, the shop is obviously totally guessing (and incorrectly at that!!!)

I would bet your issue is either a loose or corroded connector where the wiring goes through the firewall, or a bad ground. It's certainly NOT the PCM.
is there a way for me to be able to test myself or videos demonstrating how to do this to find the problem?
bobbito1287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
computer , ecu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.