Can you identify? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can you identify?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
jamesthomason
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Can you identify?

I have a 1987 cherokee pioneer w/ 4.0 ac 4x4 4 door wagon that I removed the engine and front end down to the frame, cleaned and painted everything, then put back together. I have (3) brackets (see photos) that I cannot seem to identify or locate what they are for or what they do. I got the truck running and the only thing that is different is there are cables and hoses going across the valve cover that were not there before. If you look at the photos and can identify any of the pieces or know thier placement or location I would love to hear from you. A photo of them mounted would be helpful also. Thanks in advance. PS: I took (2) angle shots of the first bracket, and (3) angles of the other (2)

parts-012.jpg   parts-011.jpg   parts-010.jpg   parts-013.jpg   parts-014.jpg  

parts-015.jpg   parts-016.jpg   parts-017.jpg  
jamesthomason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
jamesthomason
1987 XJ Cherokee 

If it will help here are some photos of the jeep these brackets should go to (somewhere)
jeep-013.jpg   jeep-014.jpg   jeep-016.jpg   engine-4-14-.jpg   engine-4-12-.jpg  

engine-4-16-.jpg   jeep-repaint-5-.jpg   jeep-repaint-3-.jpg   jeep-repaint-4-.jpg  
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

They look to be brackets that hold either parts of the harness or hoses out of the way of hot or moving parts on the engine. If you cant locate exactly where they go, look around for wires or hoses out of place or close to something they should be such as a source of heat or the fan, belt, ect. Might be part of what youre talking about with hoses for the valve cover. I always look for extra threaded holes on the motor or chassis and see if it would make sense if a bracket is needed there. Looks like you've done a ton of work under the hood. With that much of an overhaul, hoses or wiring may not end up in the exact spot it was before so its hard to identify where those pieces go. If all else fails, zip ties will keep wires out of the way.

Jeep and motor look really good BTW!
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Last 3 photos are of the bracket holding the fuel line at the back of the intake manifold.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

the first couple brackets mighjt goto the A/C condensor.
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
jamesthomason
1987 XJ Cherokee 

brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Last 3 photos are of the bracket holding the fuel line at the back of the intake manifold.
Does it go on the RH side last bolt hole on the corner with the sheilding (cupped side) facing out for the hose to lay in?
brackets-001.jpg   brackets-002.jpg   brackets-003.jpg   brackets-005.jpg   brackets-006.jpg  

Unread 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Facing "in". Hose will be between bracket and intake manifold.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
jamesthomason
1987 XJ Cherokee 

facing in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Facing "in". Hose will be between bracket and intake manifold.
So your saying the braket needs to be flipped over so that it keeps the hose next to the intake>? I thought it was to sheild it from the heat of the motor not the other way around!?! Do you know why it is like that?
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomason View Post
So your saying the braket needs to be flipped over so that it keeps the hose next to the intake>? I thought it was to sheild it from the heat of the motor not the other way around!?! Do you know why it is like that?

Correct on the placement.
Can't tell ya why.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Tags
4.0 liter , brackets , front end , help please , speedometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.