Can you clean an O2 Sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can you clean an O2 Sensor?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 09-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
saxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Can you clean an O2 Sensor?

I know what an O2 sensor does, but have no idea how they work.

When an O2 sensor goes "bad" what happens to it?

How does an O2 sensor work?

Can you clean them or do they have to be replaced?

Unread 09-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #2
tigerpaw580
1977 CJ4 

O2 Sensor

The O2 sensor is very important to how your Jeep runs.It measures the oxygen in the exhaust and adjusts the pulse width of the injectors based on its signal.I have never seen one able to be cleaned. It is a easy replacement and just dont forget the anti seize lube on the threads, don't contaminate the tip any.
It is possible to test the o2 sensor with a digital voltmeter, check it it should read between 0.1 volt to 1.0 volts anything else and it is bad. You may also improve how your jeep's mileage is too by just replacing it, even if it is not bad yet.I have had good luck with the Bosch type sensor, just get the one with the correct terminal on the end not the universal. for either the 2.5 four or the 4.0 engine.
tigerpaw580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

just replace it, they're relatively cheap.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
maxpower_hd

O2 Sensor

Where did you buy your O2 sensor? I just got a price and it was $80 for the upstream and $128 for the down stream. That doesn't sound relatively cheap to me.
maxpower_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You can get them $60-$70 (each) on www.sparkplugs.com

I just bought them from the dealer $220.00 ($105.00 each, plus tax), thank you very much. So the $60 route is "cheap" in that sense.

Not that anyone cares, but I've been trying desperately to get a mechanic who will listen to me when I say my problem is not with the sensors, but with the wiring harness. The latest mechanic told me to buy the sensors from the dealer, because their tests told them that the Denso sensors I put on there were not communicating with the Jeep's computer. So I spend $220.00, right? And now, after installing them & resetting the computer, the bleeding CEL is back on...

...and my emissions inspection sticker expires at sundown today

So if anyone knows why the harness would be overloading (pumping too much electricity) into the O2 sensors, I'll take any suggestions. I measured the voltage coming from the harness to the sensors, & it seems too high, given what the FSM for a '94 XJ says (I don't have a '96 FSM, & note that a '94 is OBDI while '96 is OBDII).

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

I paid $90.00 each, and that was at the dealer.. I didn't think that was too bad for OEM parts..
Unread 10-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
4SEVEN3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-xile
So if anyone knows why the harness would be overloading (pumping too much electricity) into the O2 sensors, I'll take any suggestions. I measured the voltage coming from the harness to the sensors, & it seems too high, given what the FSM for a '94 XJ says (I don't have a '96 FSM, & note that a '94 is OBDI while '96 is OBDII).
The O2 sensor creates voltage. It uses voltage, but only for the heater is its a 4 wire sensor. If theres resistance between the sensor, like a bad pin in a connector, ect. and the ECU it can foul up readings. The best thing to do is using a oscilloscope take o2 voltage readings at the sensors plug and the ECU to see if theres any difference and trace it from there, take reading on the harness side of the connector for the o2 sensor. Maybe the computer is messed up?
4SEVEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
dynamite44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-xile
You can get them $60-$70 (each) on www.sparkplugs.com

I just bought them from the dealer $220.00 ($105.00 each, plus tax), thank you very much. So the $60 route is "cheap" in that sense.

Not that anyone cares, but I've been trying desperately to get a mechanic who will listen to me when I say my problem is not with the sensors, but with the wiring harness. The latest mechanic told me to buy the sensors from the dealer, because their tests told them that the Denso sensors I put on there were not communicating with the Jeep's computer. So I spend $220.00, right? And now, after installing them & resetting the computer, the bleeding CEL is back on...

...and my emissions inspection sticker expires at sundown today

the dealer kept feeding my jeep oxygen sensors, under warranty mind you, so after replacing sensor 1 upstream 3 times in a row (in i think 2 month's time), they rewired the engine bay, which solved the problem.

back to the subject stated earlier in the post:
i've heard of people cleaning oxygen sensors, in particular a couple of people when i worked the parts counter at pep boys. one redneck lookin guy tried cleaning his with gasoline, then turpentine. neither worked. the other guy that came in said he tried cleaning them with a wire brush, which also didn't help.
both customers wound up buying new oxygen sensors :-)
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3
The best thing to do is using a oscilloscope take o2 voltage readings at the sensors plug and the ECU to see if theres any difference and trace it from there
You know, I wondered whether an oscilloscope would be more accurate/useful in this situation than a multimeter. I don't have an oscilloscope though... I know what the sensors are "saying," but I don't know what the computer is "hearing" (or reading) from the sensors.

If anyone really wants the nitty gritty I'm dealing with this in a different thread on NAXJA: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66704 I'm currently still stumped. It's either the computer or the wiring. It's not (in my case) the sensors.

re: cleaning O2 sensors: I believe I read that it is possible, some long time ago while trying to solve my problem. However it is done, it must be a delicate process. In most cases, though, if a sensor causes the Check Engine light to come on, then the sensor is probably broken, & cleaning it will not fix it. I also don't think cleaning it improves its efficiency.

Everybody should take a lesson f/what I did. If you don't have a Check Engine Light on DON'T MESS WITH THE SENSOR! If you're worried about the cost of replacing it, then you shouldn't be messing with it. I've bought three sets of sensors now for a problem that apparently has nothing to do with the sensors themselves, but everything to do with the wiring harness or the computer.

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.