Can low refrigerant cause a noise from the A/C compressor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can low refrigerant cause a noise from the A/C compressor?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Can low refrigerant cause a noise from the A/C compressor?

My Jeep is making noises from the compressor when I use the defroster and I'm really hoping it's not my compressor about to seize because I can't afford a new one and I need it for winter (which it's feeling an awful lot like today)...So my question is what else can cause a compressor to make growling noises? The thread title is just because I'm sure it hasn't been recharged in forever, but if there's anything else that could do it, chime in please

Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If it's the 90' Cherokee you might as well go ahead and replace the whole AC system and then have it charged professionally. Don't use the home recharge kits, they don't work! The new systems use R134A and the oil is different and it doesn't mix well with R12 even if you manage to have the old stuff evaced. Not to mention the seals aren't made to handle R134. That's why I don't recommend just doing the 'conversion kit'. You can do it but it will probably just leak out or burn up your compressor, or both.

You could try to find R12 but it's unlikely and expensive.

Oh and yes it can make a noise if it's low.
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

You have a vehicle that is almost 20 years old. There is a VERY good chance that the compressor is dying of old age, even if it's filled to the correct levels with refrigerant and oil.

BE CAREFUL. If you do NOT fix it, the compressor WILL GRENADE. Also, the longer your compressor runs while growling, the greater the chances are that the particles being shed by the accelerated wear of the compressor will spread throughout the AC system, resulting in the need to flush and/or replace more components to restore system function.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Damn. What I figured but was still hoping otherwise. She sure is getting expensive lately >_<
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.