Can I Use A Smaller Spare With 31" Tires? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can I Use A Smaller Spare With 31" Tires?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my spare tire on the roof for about 4 months now.
It sits ON the roof, between two cross bars.
It's held down with two ratchet straps criss crossed over the top, hooked into the cross bar end caps.

In response to AZZY's comments:
3: Anytime you handle a spare tire, you're going to get dirty
2: I haven't noticed and handling (or MPG) loss with it up there (but then I don't drive like I stole it either!).
1: Er, well, the inspection guy may be right about this. I wonder if tires mounted to aftermarket roof racks are any more secure

sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

This might be of interest to you.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
I've had my spare tire on the roof for about 4 months now.
It sits ON the roof, between two cross bars.
It's held down with two ratchet straps criss crossed over the top, hooked into the cross bar end caps.

In response to AZZY's comments:
3: Anytime you handle a spare tire, you're going to get dirty
2: I haven't noticed and handling (or MPG) loss with it up there (but then I don't drive like I stole it either!).
1: Er, well, the inspection guy may be right about this. I wonder if tires mounted to aftermarket roof racks are any more secure
Handling a spare kept up high is a PITA especially if you have a lift.

Dont need to drive it crazy to notice the extra wind npize and the extra bit of tilt in a 35mph turn

I think most aftermarket racks are attahed to the gutter rail, much more secure.
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can use the smaller tire as a spare. As point out by someone else, if you have TracLoc in the rear axle the different sized tires will cause it to heat up, but that is fine for short distances. If you need to drive longer distances and get a flat on your axle equipped with the TracLoc device, you can put your spare on the other axle and rotate a matching tire to replace the flat tire (put your spare on the front axle and rotate the front tire back to replace the flat).
JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.