Can i use a 96-98 jeep cherokee roof rack on my 97 jeep cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can i use a 96-98 jeep cherokee roof rack on my 97 jeep cherokee?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can i use a 96-98 jeep cherokee roof rack on my 97 jeep cherokee?

I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee sport. It came with a roof rack from the factory, but the owners before me took the roof rails off. My questions is if a Grand Cherokee's roof rails will bolt right up to where my Cherokee roof rails would go.
From pictures I have looked at they look to have the same rails.

I am only asking this because where i live it is much easier to find a Grand Cherokee in a junk yard then a Cherokee. I really want to put my basket on top of my roof but can't till i get the roof rails. Also if a grand Cherokee wont work. is there somewhere that sells factory roof racks for 97+ Cherokee's

Any help is much appreciated

300zxnovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
96upcountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

gutter mounts

you could get some after market crossbars with gutter mounts. They're stronger.
[QUOTE=cruiser54;11297546]Looking at grounds doesn't count. You MUST remove, scrape, polish, clean and then reattach. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Unless of course, you have the ability to see electricity flow.............[/QUOTE]
96upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you need the crossbars that slide or do you need the rails that are bolted to the the roof ?

Grand Cherokee rack parts won't fit. The junkyard, the Jeep-Forum classified ads, or CraigsList are the only places you will find them.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Do you need the crossbars that slide or do you need the rails that are bolted to the the roof ?

Grand Cherokee rack parts won't fit. The junkyard, the Jeep-Forum classified ads, or CraigsList are the only places you will find them.
I need both
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The junkyard, the Jeep-Forum classified ads, or CraigsList are the only places you will find them.

You will need the longer roof rails that were used on 97's and some 98's.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
300zxnovaman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The junkyard, the Jeep-Forum classified ads, or CraigsList are the only places you will find them.

You will need the longer roof rails that were used on 97's and some 98's.
Okay thank you For the help

Tags
cherokee , grand cherokee , roof rack

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.