Can I remove this from my jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can I remove this from my jeep?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-13-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
woobles

Can I remove this from my jeep?

this guy took the fibre/cotton padding out of the inside or his hood. Is this allright to do and whats the purpose of this fibre anyway?

heres the guys pic --> www.4x4wire.com/4x4/jeep/gallery/ xj/aolsen91xj/engine.jpg

woobles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #2
nwtxj

The purpose of that is basicly to quiet down the noises coming from under the hood & to make washing off the mud more difficult.
R.
Unread 08-13-2002, 08:10 PM   #3
woobles

lol, thanks...
woobles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
Cshaffer

fiber shield

that stuff actually serves two purposes. its does help to keep the engine noise down, but its main purpose is to act as a sort of fire extinguisher. if your engine, or something in the engine bay were to catch on fire, it melts that thing, and hopefully it smothers the fire. but if its all ripped and in the way, it would probably do more good than bad to take it out....i havent heard of too many engine fires, the ones i know of come from dry grass in the cat...
-chad
Unread 08-14-2002, 01:29 AM   #5
85XJ

Your hood will be flimsy and shake while driving, it partially acts as a support to prevent this. Take it off carefully and if you don't like it, put it back.
85 XJ / 8" skyjackerrock ready& custom lift / 35x12.50r15 Kumho MT's on 15x10 Rock Crawlers / 4.56 gears / Detroit locker rear-Lockrite front / Bushwacker flares / Slot drilled rotors / detachable swaybar links / Rancho & Skyjacker shocks / 32 gallon tank / Webber carb conversion / posi lock axle engagement /Shania Twain sticker
85XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2002, 02:37 AM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

mine doesn't even have it

The newer ones don't even have it. My 2000 doesn't.

I like that idea of stickers under the hood - like that white XJ has. Thats where I'm going to put all the stickers that I don't really want showing on the outside!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
RookieJeeper

my 89 doesn't have it and it looks like it never did
Unread 08-14-2002, 09:54 PM   #8
CruzNlife1

ITS A HEAT SHIELD, we ripped the one off the hood of my mustang, now the hood gets soo hot from the motor, that it melts the wax off, lucky me

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

VERY SOON TO BE A BRAND NEW TJ OWNER, TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW !!
CruzNlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2002, 11:06 AM   #9
errorinspelling

You WAX your jeep? What fer? Dern brush jus scratch it up again when you go out wheelin. Sides who needs shiney when yer covered in mud?
1986 Fiero GT v6 engine
http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj
errorinspelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2002, 02:09 PM   #10
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey CruzN - you can get another one to replace it. I ordered mine from griotsgarage.com. It's an excellent company and I think they're still only around $70.
[color=orange]ORANGE[/color] Jeep Club Member #3
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
GPTH1NG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2002, 10:31 AM   #11
CruzNlife1

yes i wax the jeep, but i wasnt talking about the jeep i was talking about the mustang, and the ranger (((.R.I.P.))) never had one when i got it

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

VERY SOON TO BE A BRAND NEW TJ OWNER, TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW !!
Unread 08-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #12
CruzNlife1

and as for the mustang i'm not too worried about it, and if I was, I would just go to the junkyard for another one

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.