Can i drive my Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can i drive my Jeep?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
lma1973

Can i drive my Jeep?

When i got back from driving yesterday, antifreeze was leaking out the front of my Jeep onto the ground...probably a good pint or so at least. Anyway, i have the closed cooling system (1987 model) so i just added some water back to the reservoir since it was low. Is this enough for me to drive it the 5 miles i need to go to put this thing in shop, or should i have it towed?

lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973
When i got back from driving yesterday, antifreeze was leaking out the front of my Jeep onto the ground...probably a good pint or so at least. Anyway, i have the closed cooling system (1987 model) so i just added some water back to the reservoir since it was low. Is this enough for me to drive it the 5 miles i need to go to put this thing in shop, or should i have it towed?
5 miles Id do it. I'd watch the temp VERY closely... Just take it easy... It probably leaks more when it gets up to temp. 5 Miles might get it warmed up a bit, but shouldn't overheat it.

Hope it's an easy fix, and talk to some of the people on this board about bleeding the cooling system..
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
RickyN29

Sounds like thermostat, radiator, or a hose. All of which are a simple fix and something you should try to tackle yourself. Feel free to ask any questions, better than spending money at a shop.
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Depending on the outside temperature, your car can run from 5-15 minutes with total failure of its cooling system. My water pump failed on my Mercedes, and I knew I had to go 5 more miles, and made it alright. If you are going to replace cooling system components, go ahead and convert to the open system that 91+ XJs used. I have the writeup if you want to PM me.

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #5
lma1973

I was gonna try to drive it later in the evening when its cooler out. I know i lost some fluid but bi dont know how o out more in so i just out some in the reservoir. It seems like it only leaks when hot anyway, so maybe i can get there. Thanks for all the responses.
lma1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
Calpolyclimber

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I would say check it out yourself before you spend a dime at a shop. Here's why. When you take it to a shop, your first pay for them to look at it, then pay for them to tool around with it, then pay their premium price for any parts they replace (they often replace parts that didn't need replacing, or parts that don't fix the problem)...

Chances are it is something very simple. Here is what I would probably do. Hop under it and see where the fluid is coming from. If it is hard to tell due to fluid all over the place, clean it all up, start it up for just a minute or two (don't leave it on NEARLY long enough to overheat), shut it off, and get back under there and watch it closely. Getting the fluid moving should have caused at least a few drips to show up somewhere.

Once you know where it is coming from, you will either see a simple problem (cracked/disconected hose) or a complicated problem (cracked radiator, leaky pump, whatever). If you find where it is leaking, and don't know what is causing it to leak, post back here and someone can probably help you out.

You will most likely only end up spending less than $50... good luck, and I hope to hear back from you on here before you take it to the shop.

~Alex
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE 6030 3.5" Super-Flex lift w/ full leaf packs
RE SYE and DS
31x10.5 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Calpolyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.