Can a digital TC change to a cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can a digital TC change to a cable?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
rytomi

Can a digital TC change to a cable?

I have an 89 Cherokee 4.0L and I need a new transfer case. I was looking at posibilities, but I ran into a snag...

Cherokees 1984 through 1991 used a speedo cable and 1992 through 2001 used a digital sensor.

Is it possible to get a 1992 or newer TC to work with a cable speedo?

MJ or XJ 2-Door. 2.5L engine, 2WD, factory AC, and mechanically stock.
rytomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
nhpso224

I have a '99 and it was just the standard speedo cable.

'06 XK Commander, 4.7l, Crystal Inferno Red Pearl, Dark Gray 5 spokes, Slate Gray Leather intreior, Command view skylights
nhpso224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rytomi View Post
I have an 89 Cherokee 4.0L and I need a new transfer case. I was looking at posibilities, but I ran into a snag...

Cherokees 1984 through 1991 used a speedo cable and 1992 through 2001 used a digital sensor.

Is it possible to get a 1992 or newer TC to work with a cable speedo?
I think the counter for the digital speedometer just bolts into the same old socket that an old-style Chrysler speedometer cable pinion goes in. I think you should be able to transfer your pinion from the old TC to the new one.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
rytomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
I think the counter for the digital speedometer just bolts into the same old socket that an old-style Chrysler speedometer cable pinion goes in. I think you should be able to transfer your pinion from the old TC to the new one.
So the gearing on the digital sensor is the same as the pinion gear and I can just swap them out?

MJ or XJ 2-Door. 2.5L engine, 2WD, factory AC, and mechanically stock.
rytomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rytomi View Post
So the gearing on the digital sensor is the same as the pinion gear and I can just swap them out?
I'm pretty sure the whole pinion adaptor will swap over. Compare them at a junkyard to be sure.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.