Can a coolant problem affect transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can a coolant problem affect transmission?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
froyd79
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can a coolant problem affect transmission?

I just picked up a 90xj. Guy told me it had overheated. I cant tell exactly what the problem is as I huave not checked into it too thouroghly. he dropped it off at my house all I noticed was the coolant expansion bottle had a hole in it, a little bit of smoke out the exhaust (was a chilly 40 degrees at night) and it seemed to have a miss in it, oil was fine. Needed changed but fine.

Anyway I Got into it today to move it while A tree is being removed from my yard and it took alot of gas to get it to move, Moved ok the other day when I pulled it out back. (e brake doesnt work, so that was not on) So I put it in 4lo and it went just like I remember my old 95xj going, so back into 2 wheel and it just felt VERY sluggish. Doesnt feel as if the tranny is bad almost as if the converter isnt locking up. So my question is would any airpockets in the closed cooling system or even overheated coolant cause it to act this way? As I was told it heats up rather quickly but the temp guage doesnt work for verification. I got a nice 3 day weekend for work coming up so alot of these minor yet intrusive inconveniences are about to get fixed!

Last edited by froyd79; 05-21-2008 at 11:06 AM..
froyd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you just need to run the heck out of it, get it to a good operating temp and then see how she acts. If its been sitting for awhile and not driven, it will be a bit sluggish for a few minutes. Your Tranny fluid runs through your radiator and has the potential to get contaminated if the radiator has an interior leak. Have you checked the Tranny fluid for antifreeze or a burned smell? I wouldn't worry unitl you get a chance to run it for a bit. Make sure the cooling system is full to avoid any further mishaps.
Unread 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Macnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The old AW4 transmission is pretty tough, but I'm not saying that they can't break. What does the tranny fluid look like? Regardless, I would change ALL fluids, filters, and flush the cooling system since ownership has changed. I would bet that the filter and fluid hasn't been changed since 1990. Mine acted the same way when I bought it.
Macnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
sajeep4x4
1989 XJ Cherokee 

think about it.....your trans cooler lines generally run either into the radiator or on some that have larger coolers they run right in front of the radiator.so yes higher coolant temps means higher trans temps causing fluid to break down.
sajeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
froyd79
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Guys! I cant wait until this weekend to break it down. I have a 2nd xj with a good trans if needed. But like stated I have not really ever heard anything bad about the trans, motors or jeeps for that matter. Just electrical mainly. Sometimes I just get worried and go work 8 hours and dwell on it allll day haha! Thanks again and I hope to return the favor!
froyd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.