Can Check Gauges Light be caused by weak battery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Can Check Gauges Light be caused by weak battery?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
kchilaka

Can Check Gauges Light be caused by weak battery?

I was cleaning out the interior of my 1997 XJ today and because the front doors were open for a few hours (probably like 4 hours), the interior lights stayed on. I thought the battery could handle it but when I tried to start the jeep, the engine turned over real lazily and refused to catch. The starter also made a wierd chattering noise. I figured that this was because of the lights draining the battery but I also noticed that my "check gauges" light went on ! Is this normal? Can the check gauges light go on when the battery is low?

This light is troubling.. Now I am being paranoid that I shorted out something because I did clean the interior of the doors and windows with a soapy wet cloth.. I am worried now that the water went into some door switch or window switch and is creating a short somewhere..

Anyone see this "check gauges" light for a weak battery?

kchilaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
TND3
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you charged up the battery, its running fine? ... your still getting check gauges?
Unread 04-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
severous01

if you have the key in run but not started it will stay on until you either turn it off or start the vehicle

or, if you're battery gauge is in the red or the temp is in the red...or anything else is in the red, it will throw a check gauges light...

so, charge the bat or jump it...and it should go away
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
kchilaka

Charged the battery and drove around.. The "check gauges" light dissapeared.. whew !.. thanks for your replies..
kchilaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.