CamShaft Sensor !!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > CamShaft Sensor !!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Paupeye
1996 XJ Cherokee 

CamShaft Sensor !!!!

I have a 96 Cherokee country. 4.0 straight 6. Automatic. The beginning of this year I enjoyed that stalling out issues of the crankshaft sensor, until I replaced it, along with the distributor and a new fuel filter. I had the transmission rebuilt also and a couple weeks ago replaced a freeze plug.

"Frankenstein" began stalling out again. I had the codes read, it indicated the cam sensor. I took it to Goodyear who had replaced my distributor (being that I was 500 miles from my garage) which the camshaft was included in that replacement.

Goodyear told me it was my PCM, well I ordered one, put it in, FLASHED it. And it still stalls out....only, as it seems) when a light turns green and I am about to accelerate, or just before accelerating.

My question, obviously, is what could be the issue, if it's indicating the cam sensor but technically wouldn't be the cam sensor?

Paupeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Stop having a tire store, Goodyear, fix your Jeep. If you can't do the work yourself take it to a REAL mechanic. There is NO reason to change a Distributor for a bad cam sensor. the sensor is a $15 part, that a blind 5 yearold could change. If it wear me I would start by replacing the cam and cranksensors, with OEM versions. And have the wires and connections inspected as part of the installation
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

low fuel pressure is a possibility
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

First, buy genuine Jeep sensors. It is a well known fact that non-Jeep sensors are often out of specification, or even faulty right out of the box, and have a shorter than normal service life.

Second, find a competent Jeep mechanic, instead of a random tire store mechanic.

Third, as suggested, test the fuel pressure.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Paupeye
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'll try that. And you're right about Goodyear. But i had broken down a mile from their place in rush hour traffic, i had a moment of insanity.

I'll replace them myself and see what happens.
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had a lot of issues with my new jeep here recently. I replaced crankshaft sensor, 02 sensor, cleaned throttle body IAC and TPS and still would not run. After replacing the crankshaft sensor it ran fine for about 3 minutes then started running bad again. It almost acted like it was not getting any fuel and it stalled several times driving it to the mechanic to finally have the codes red. It ended up being my MAP sensor. ( the only one that I didn't mess with) I replaced that and runs good as new now. Not sure if that is your issue but i would maybe check into that!
Hope the information helps because i had a heck of a time with mine!
Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

After finally getting it running!
Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Paupeye
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I took it in, finally, they found out what the issue has been! THE WIRING HARNESS! That enters the distributor. It was intermittently losing connection.
So diagnostics pointed at the cam sensors and ****ty goodyear said it was the computer, and it was the wiring harness! My Jeep, Frankenstein, runs Perfect!

Tags
cam , camshaft , failure , replaced , sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.