Calling all death wobble guru's, gods, or any help really... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
brandonc0320

Calling all death wobble guru's, gods, or any help really...

Okay so here is the whole story. Just 2 days ago, I installed the ruffstuff crossover steering kit, which improved the feel of the wheel with the 4 inch lift. Had it aligned today, so I checked that off the list. Now, the jeep would wobble with the stock setup if I took a right hand bend at 40-45 mph, Anything above or below that it would do just fine. Now with the new kit and alignment it does the same thing, but now it's just more violent and quicker to wobble.

I checked the track bar hole after I got home from the alignment, it was egged out, so I drilled a new hole, and put a new nut, bolt, and lock washer on it to no improvement.

My tires are balanced, and there is no low spots or abnormalities in wear on any of them.

Could it be the stock LCA's causing the wobble, or could it be something bigger than that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm on the verge of sending it to the junker if I keep throwing possible parts at the front end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:

- Loose, worn, or incorrectly torqued suspension nuts/bolts
- Front alignment out of spec
- Loose track bar
- Worn track bar bushing axle end
- Worn track bar end frame end
- Worn track bar bolt hole on axle
- Needing an adjustable track bar
- Bad bushings/joints in control arms
- Damaged control arms or control arm mounts
- Worn/damaged shocks
- Worn/damaged tie rod ends
- Bad U Joint
- Bad ball joint
- Loose track bar frame mount hardware
- Worn/damaged track bar frame mount
- Steering box loose bolts/cracked frame mount area
- Bad front hub assembly
- Bent axle housing

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
brandonc0320

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:

- Loose, worn, or incorrectly torqued suspension nuts/bolts
- Front alignment out of spec
- Loose track bar
- Worn track bar bushing axle end
- Worn track bar end frame end
- Worn track bar bolt hole on axle
- Needing an adjustable track bar
- Bad bushings/joints in control arms
- Damaged control arms or control arm mounts
- Worn/damaged shocks
- Worn/damaged tie rod ends
- Bad U Joint
- Bad ball joint
- Loose track bar frame mount hardware
- Worn/damaged track bar frame mount
- Steering box loose bolts/cracked frame mount area
- Driveshaft(s) not balanced
- Bad front hub assembly
- Bent axle housing
I have checked everything under the front. The track bar is adjustable. But at the alignment shop, the put the toe at 0, and someone had brought up that maybe it needs to be turned toe in just a bit.

But I also see what you mean about control arm bushings

post #4 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
brandonc0320

I just see absolutely no abnormal movement from any of the bushings. Could having a 0 toe setting cause this?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM
fennix12

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I was finally able to find mine by having someone sit in the car and cycle the steering slightly back and forth. After getting under the car I put my hand on the pitman arm and felt for looseness or any popping, while the steering was still cycling i just followed the drag link down through the tie rods and eventually checking the track bar. Any loose tie rod end our worn out bearing can cause it, for me the top of the trackbar was slightly loose. For checking the ball joints you can lift the car up till the tires are off the ground, put a shovel underneath and use that to lever the tire up and down, look for play or any popping. Wish you the best on fixing the death wobble, it frustrated me for quite some time.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
brandonc0320

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennix12 View Post
I was finally able to find mine by having someone sit in the car and cycle the steering slightly back and forth. After getting under the car I put my hand on the pitman arm and felt for looseness or any popping, while the steering was still cycling i just followed the drag link down through the tie rods and eventually checking the track bar. Any loose tie rod end our worn out bearing can cause it, for me the top of the trackbar was slightly loose. For checking the ball joints you can lift the car up till the tires are off the ground, put a shovel underneath and use that to lever the tire up and down, look for play or any popping. Wish you the best on fixing the death wobble, it frustrated me for quite some time.
Thanks man. I just did that today. I checked all the bushings and like I said, I just installed the ruffstuff crossover steering kit yesterday and then Had the alignment done today. It's driving me insane. That's why I'm wondering if having it at 0 toe setting could be the issue

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 PM
fennix12

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
brandonc0320

Great article. Thanks for the tip man.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2017, 04:48 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Death Wobble is almost always cause by worn, loose, or damaged steering and/or suspension parts. Usually it not caused by one single part/problem on the list above, often there is combination of weak and worn components that need replacement. Bushings are high on the list, and a simple visual inspection or wiggle by hand may not detect a worn bushing. Most XJ Cherokees are at the age and mileage that numerous steering and suspension parts should be replaced.

Cherokees should have toe-in, and lifted Cherokees with bigger tires should have a bit of extra toe-in.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.