calipher help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > calipher help

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
neng1987

calipher help

bought a new passenger side front calipher, the old one seized. so i went to install it and no matter what i do the top piston wont tighten down. I use new bolts washers that came with the new caliper. bottom piston tighten up with no problem. can anyone help? drove around the block n i could feel its deff not stopping good, dont have much pressure n have to press all the way down.

neng1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neng1987 View Post
bought a new passenger side front calipher, the old one seized. so i went to install it and no matter what i do the top piston wont tighten down. I use new bolts washers that came with the new caliper. bottom piston tighten up with no problem. can anyone help? drove around the block n i could feel its deff not stopping good, dont have much pressure n have to press all the way down.
What do you mean by "the top piston won't tighten down"?

I'm sorry, but i don't understand what you're trying to say.

Did you bleed anything?

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think he means the top bolt that holds the caliper on I had the same problem on my last axlel and I had to go get a bolt that was a quarter inch longer to get the threads to catch.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
neng1987

Yes the top bolt, it came with two bolts one for the top n bottom. I did bleed it out first. for sum reason it just wont catch the thread, i try screwing it in without the caliper n it catches fine, so a longer bolt will be it?
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neng1987 View Post
Yes the top bolt, it came with two bolts one for the top n bottom. I did bleed it out first. for sum reason it just wont catch the thread, i try screwing it in without the caliper n it catches fine, so a longer bolt will be it?
Got a C-Clamp or something you can try to pull it all together so you can get that bolt in?

I must ask, are you driving your jeep around with one bolt holding the caliper on?

Unread 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
neng1987

no im not driving around with one bolt, both bolt are in the top one arent tight, i could see the end of the bolt by the brake pad, idk why its all the way in but not tighten down on it.
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So why doesn't the bolt screw in? Is there no thread left on the bolt? Is it just really tight? Any clue?

Unread 05-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
neng1987

Its a new bolt, im thinking the receiving end has the thread issue. the problem is it goes somewhat tight then it goes completely loose, it will keep repeating that process
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

on mine the problem was the bracket on the knuckle had some boogered up threads. so I needed a bolt that was 1/2 longer to catch threads. if I remember correctly 1/2 inch longer was a hair to long so a few spacer washers helped.

best of luck
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
neng1987

okay thanks, my other issue is the brake pressure is there but i have to press really down to stop, im guessing once i fix the bolt issue it will fix that as well.
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

you need to loosen the bottom bolt and try again. but it sounds like the bolt is not going in straight like it should that is why you get the feeling like its tightening and then bam its loose again.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and the pressure problem wont be fixed by fixing the bolt bleed the brakes in this order back passenger back driver front passenger front driver two people one in the cab one operating the bleed valve on the wheel fill the reservoir after each wheel. I had to do mine twice after by disc brake conversion but its much better now
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
neng1987

Im a total noob to jeeps, why cant i just bleed the paseenger front, thats the one has the problem
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neng1987
Im a total noob to jeeps, why cant i just bleed the paseenger front, thats the one has the problem
Loosen the bottom bolt. Try to start both bolts at the same time and tighten them together.

If that doesn't work you might need to drill out the threads and heli-coil it.

You can't just bleed one brake because there will be air in the system.

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
neng1987

ok, which reservoir cap is for the rear brake? will the one closer to me be for the front brake

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.