Calipers won't open up after replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Calipers won't open up after replacement

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
blackolive99

It was strange to me to replace 4 rubber lines at once, but it fooled us and made me a believer.
Electrical classes huh?
Nice to meet a fellow sparky.

blackolive99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
jahill
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK, so I replaced both the master cylinder AND the front brake hoses... and the pads are still dragging! I know there isn't much of a gap between the pads and rotors to begin with, but when I can hear the pads rubbing while riding down the street, I still think there's something wrong. I'm just worried that they're TOO close and rubbing TOO much that the rotors are going to get super hot and warp. Are they working correctly and I'm just being overly paranoid? Is there something else I need to do?

Note: I can turn the wheel/rotor manually. And the Jeep will move, there's just a lot of rubbing going on.

EDIT: I put the old pads on, just to check spacing... thought maybe the pads were too thick (I know, stupid, but I'm drawing a blank on what else it could be), but even with the old pads, the caliper will close all the way and then not back off enough.

(blackolive: Yep. Doing the night school thing rather than the apprentice thing. Doing conduit bending this month. )
jahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Constant contact of the disk brake pads on the rotors is normal. If the tire spins by hand all should be good. If you are hearing noises, check that the dust shield is not rubbing on the disk.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
jahill
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dust shield... is that the plate that is on the back side of where the rotor sits? I'll check, but I would think that would sound a little more... metallic sounding (I guess). What I'm hearing is definitely a... smooth sounding rub. As if a sound can be smooth, but I think you get the idea.
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
jahill
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So just went to get some baby pictures taken, and the rubbing sound is still there. And the Jeep seems to have to work harder in order to go. When I pulled in to the house, I could feel the heat off the brakes, even though we are having rain and most of the last driving was highway (i.e. no stop-and-go).

I'm wondering if it's the calipers. They're Autozone remans, and I thought I read around here someone's opinion that they aren't the best. Thoughts?
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
jahill
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bah.

Finally figured it out: I should have paid more attention to the suggestion of looking at the dust shield, because that's exactly what it was. After getting a second set of calipers (this time from Napa) and changing them, I thought about the sound I was hearing. It was constant, even when I was braking. In my mind, if it was the pads making the noise, the pitch/tone/sound in general should have changed. So this time, when I put the new calipers on, I took the rotor off first. And lo and behold, there were some nice scrape marks on the shield as well as some spiffy grooves in the backside of the rotor. I banged down the shield with a hammer as much as I could, and the scraping has all but disappeared. I get it every now and then when I'm turning, but no biggie.

My guess? Well, as I mentioned before, the previous rotor was a composite rotor and the hub measured out for a composite rotor, but the bolts always seemed longer on mine than what was in that picture that was in the brake rotor thread linked to earlier. And that always bothered me. I'm thinking that the hubs got replaced, maybe the bolts were swapped out... needless to say, I'm going to take it to a mechanic to get the drums replaced, because I'm tired of dealing with brakes for a while!

Speaking of mechanics, any suggestions on a good place to go and have the drums replaced? I could go to the dealer, but figure they're going to be more expensive than some other place that can do just as well.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #22
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

rear brakes are the easiest to do, dont be afraid.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
jahill
1999 XJ Cherokee 

xjdantheman - I guess I'm just nervous about all the adjusting and pins and springs and other bits that add up to way more pieces than a simple disc set up.
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahill View Post
xjdantheman - I guess I'm just nervous about all the adjusting and pins and springs and other bits that add up to way more pieces than a simple disc set up.
once you get past the complicated look of everything its actually pretty simple. i recommend you get new hardware once you get then done. kits are cheap, 10 bucks or so.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.