cademan04's 97 xj, "safari wagon" build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cademan04's 97 xj, "safari wagon" build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #61
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4STE View Post
u could do the extended upper bumps but that would limit the uptravel. shorter shocks might be better? im not sure of the best possible combination for what youre trying to set up. but as of now that thing will climb that tree if u let it lol

well, i would extend the bumpstops based on maximum uptravel allowance. if this still wasnt long enough, then i will get limiting straps.

cademan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #62
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
What shocks are those?

Your spring looks....discombobulated!
they hydro 8000's that come with the kit.

yes, the spring fell out when i flexed up the tree.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #63
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

That flex is insane. Again, good looking rig!
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #64
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i should make a new thread but i want to keep my build thread as active as possible, and my questions do pertain to the "build" so... can anyone give me the specs of the hydro 8000 shocks that came with my 5.5 inch kit ie. compressed and extended length? im needing to put the finish work into the lift so i can ride the trails and not have to worry about my spring falling out every time i get twisty. i want to know how much down travel i can get before the shock is being used as the limiter. my other issue is in the rear. the kit originally comes with 3.5inch 6 leaf packs. with the 1.5 inch shackle that comes out to 5 inches advertised. well i like to ride geared up, so i didnt want major sag, and i like the stance of a bit of rake to the front. i ordered a 1"aal, making the pack a 4.5inch. then i just ran the shackle at the 1" holes rather than the 1.5". my ride is very stiff in the rear. i think i have tougher suspension than a 1 ton truck, haha. seriously thought, its rough. also, i can see that if i stuff the rear tires, the shackles will hit the back of the shackle housing and limit articulation. the shackles are also sitting at an angle(the bottom of the shackle being farther away from the front of the vehicle). i assume that shackle relocation brackets will help with some of this issue? atleast getting a verticle shackle which is what i want correct? give me some ideas and comments, i will add more of my own as i get responses.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #65
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

no input?
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #66
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

all i got to say is nice jeep. but that lift you have as been in and out of more jeeps then i know. yes great flex but see what happens. you should upgrade to the bilistein 5150's then get the ones with 13 in travel. dont let the shock bottom out though. not good. you only have one bolt holding the top of your axle on so be careful with that one. and yea the rear sucks on stiffness i know. but you bought the lift and prob dont want to throw it away so start upgrading the little things. do limit straps. keep flexing those rears will soften. good luck and again, nice job. love those light mounts. really i don. mine sucks.
JEEPSFORUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #67
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I loaded up the jeep with deer corn 2 weeks ago, I had about 400lbs or so, plus other items in the cargo area. with the load and ever since the rear end has felt much better. the lift has been on a few weeks now so it's settling and it's manners are better. I ordered daystar upper front bumpstops. I'm going to keep the shocks I have for now, I'll get the limit straps that suit them for max droop. oh, I have some 33x1250 mastercraft courser mt's coming soon as well.
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #68
Jperu-01XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How many miles do you have on the rear leaf springs? Have they soften up yet? Mine got better the more I drove it and flexed it. Mine was like a brick wagon for the first hundred miles.
the rig is looking great
Jperu-01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #69
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

about 300 miles. it's stiff, not as bad as initially after install, but stiff.
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #70
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just got my new mastercraft courser mt's put on, in the 33x1250x15 flavor.
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #71
MN_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

how is the IRO long arm kit? any problems? street manners? i'm considering the IRO kit for my dd/weekend wheeler build this spring.
MN_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #72
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_XJ View Post
how is the IRO long arm kit? any problems? street manners? i'm considering the IRO kit for my dd/weekend wheeler build this spring.
i like it. i opted to get the 5.5 rear leafs rather than the 3.5 leafs with the 1inch aal. so with those leafs, the 1 inch shackle location, and about 1/2 inch from my shims, my rear sits up pretty high when i dont have my spare tire or swing arm on my rear bumper.

i daily drive my jeep. most people dont like riding in it, but i like its rough and toughness. i also have their otk steering. my factory steering was in bad shape, so it made a huge difference.

with all that said, i am testing the waters to find a trade(looking for a stock tj). im getting out of wanting a rock crawler. i just need 4wd to go to the hunting camp and some occassional backwood fishing trips.
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #73
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

anyone want to buy my xj? id also trade for a stock tj.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #74
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do you still have your xj? IRO OTK kit still working great?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.