cademan04's 97 xj, "safari wagon" build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > cademan04's 97 xj, "safari wagon" build thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

cademan04's 97 xj, "safari wagon" build thread

i got my xj in june of 08. its a 97 4.0 aw4 np231. she had 54k miles on her when i bought her. all she had done to her was 3inch procomp lift, 31in at's on stock wheels, and cut front fenders. when i bought the jeep it was my second vehicle, i only put 2k miles on her the first 6 months, now she has almost 99k. then i sold my pickup and have driven the jeep ever since. i hunt and fish alot, so that is where the jeep sees the most dirt/mud/offroad terrain, and thats kind of where i coined the "safari wagon" title from. i hope everyone enjoys, i know i like subscribing to build threads and checking out everyones ideas.

since i've had her, she now has:
-cut and folded rear fenders and rear quarter panels
-raptor lined the lower part of the body
-15x8 soft 8's w/4in bs
-iron scorpion front winch bumper
-autopal headlights
-dynomax catback exhaust
-magnaflow highflow cat
-rustys flex flares
-rigid co rear bumper w/tc
-yakima roof rack
-raptor lined floorpan

future plans:
-doorless
-33s
-4.56s
-hella's on roof rack
-winch
-4.5 la lift
-rear cargo box

when i got her

first time i ever got her stuck(there was never a chance on this hill)

before IS front bumper

bumper kit

building bumper

finished bumper

installed bumper

spray lining lower body panels

rustys flares installed

rigid rear bumper installed

roof rack installed

recent fishing trip

sunk after recent fishing trip

stripped/scuffed interior after sinking

spray gun malfunction

coated

lights ready to go on

cademan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you know a jeep owner when you see his stuck SUV and a perfectly good road in the background behind it!
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
rawk hard xj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I like how your following your progress, and I really like that front bumper.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

cbordea, i was wondering if anyone would point that out. i actually was riding in the ruts where the grass is. the bank of that water hole caved in on the rear, it was such a quick sharp drop off it brought the front with it. the water in the jeep was no fun. however, im quite pleased with my spray lined interior now.

rawk hard xj, thanks. i was very impressed with the iron scorpion kit, the parts are cnc cut and it goes together quite nicely, all you need is the ability to weld or access to someone who can. hopefully my build thread will get lots of exposure. after a few more mods i am going to try for xj of the month.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I lol'd at work
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Phil, it was one of those "gotta love it" moments. if you are familiar with the upol raptor spray kit, it comes with the gun and the bottles of liner. you attach the bottle to the gun and connect an air compressor to the gun as well. the trigger of course releases the air through the barrel, as it passes the bottle it creates suction on the dipstick in the bottle which draws up the liner to be sprayed through the barrel. there is a breather hole at the top of the "lid" that holds the bottle. i had bought the kit to coat my rear bumper and thought i cleaned it well afterwards. anyway, i started spraying the back cargo area and everything was going well. then, apparently an old dried piece of rubber dislodged from the inside of the gun and clogged the barrel. the air needed somewhere to go and it chose out the dipstick into the bottle full of liner. this launched out the glop of liner you see stuck to my headliner. good times
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When I have sprayed with siphon guns you can clear the tip by pressing your finger on the end. It blows the stuff back in the cup

I did it on my 68 fairlane's hood with an HVLP gun when it was running slow out of habit. dumped about a 1/4 cup of red dead center.
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

haha! good tip for the future though.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just ordered iron rock otk steering setup
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

mounted 2 of my hella 500s this afternoon. the hardware store didnt have anymore of the clamps i used as mounting brackets. i will pick up some more in a few days and get all 4 shining.

Unread 04-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i ordered yakima gutter mounts off of ebay for a nicely reduced price. then i went to the hardware store and got some 3/4 inch galvanized pipe cut to 56 inches. i put 2 coats of por15 on the pipes then rattle canned them with a glossy black top coat. the rack is super sturdy now. i am waiting for the hardware store to get more of the pipe clamps i used to mount the lights, i have two more hellas waiting to go on.

my heavy duty otk steering came in the mail today. it will go on soon.
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

4 hella 500s installed and shining. im anxious to see what they do at night. i was impressed with how well they showed up during the day for this pic. i am also pleased with my install. i found some random type of hose clamps at the hardware store and modified the bolts washers and nuts to make them hold my lights. also, the rack and lights are plug and play. i put a connector on the power and ground wires so if i want to take the rack off, its simple and easy and the lights stay attached.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

iron rock offroad otk steering installed this weekend. its heavy duty thats for sure. the bushings in my stock steering were all busted, so handling is much improved. i just have to get used to really feeling every pebble i hit. great quality product, im pleased.

Unread 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man I really like your jeep!!!! Great job on the bumper, love the bed liner on the floor...

Where did you get that bumper kit?

cant wait to see what you have in mind next!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.