C4x4 Tow Hook kit install questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > C4x4 Tow Hook kit install questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
viator

C4x4 Tow Hook kit install questions

As recommended by the illustrious balloo93, I ordered and recieved the C4x4 tow hook kit from Jeepinoutfitters.com for christmas. They look great, and installation looks pretty straight forward. However...

Just a few questions for the very knowledgeable folk here:

1. In the instructions there are no torque requirements. Is this a "tight as you can get em" thing?

2. Should I use blue Locktite on the bolts? Or are they okay 'snugged' up as hard as I can pull them. AFAIK, resonance and loosening bolts is a pretty big thing in autos, and I wanted to make sure I'm not driving down the highway someday to hear a clunk and a bang as my tow hooks or brackets come flying off.

3. Lastly, does anyone with a post-97 XJ have any stats on how much you have to enlarge the air dam openings for the hooks to fit? I'm thinking it would be nice to have it trimmed out and ready to fit, rather than trial and error. What did you guys use to enlarge the holes? Coping saw, Dremel?

Thanks guys.

[I][SIZE=1]2000 XJ Limited
NP242, AW4, 8.25 rear (29)
[/SIZE][/I]
viator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
denverd0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator
1. In the instructions there are no torque requirements. Is this a "tight as you can get em" thing?
Depends on how strong you are. Tight, yes, but not too tight. I would just snug them down good.

Quote:
2. Should I use blue Locktite on the bolts?
Blue Locktite is very rarely a bad thing. In this case, it would be a very good thing.

Quote:
3. Lastly, does anyone with a post-97 XJ have any stats on how much you have to enlarge the air dam openings for the hooks to fit? I'm thinking it would be nice to have it trimmed out and ready to fit, rather than trial and error. What did you guys use to enlarge the holes? Coping saw, Dremel?
Dremel works pretty well. I think this is a case where trial and error is the best way. Fit up the brackets, hold up the hooks, see where they'll hit, and then make an opening as needed.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Lagooz00XJ

1. I Just snugged them down good as mentioned above, not as tight as possible.

2. Locktite probably isnt a bad idea.

3. Dremel seemed to work well for me.
Belly Armor
RE H&T w/ front shaft
Lagooz00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
As recommended by the illustrious balloo93, I ordered and recieved the C4x4 tow hook kit from Jeepinoutfitters.com for christmas. They look great, and installation looks pretty straight forward. However...

2. Should I use blue Locktite on the bolts? Or are they okay 'snugged' up as hard as I can pull them. AFAIK, resonance and loosening bolts is a pretty big thing in autos, and I wanted to make sure I'm not driving down the highway someday to hear a clunk and a bang as my tow hooks or brackets come flying off.

Thanks guys.
I also got my C 4x4 hooks for Xmas and am very pleased with them

2.they come with locker washer's and like viator said Locktite is never a bad idea (but I did not use it)

3. I will also try to get a pic of how I had to trim mine when I get home
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #5
viator

Sounds Good

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna put these on Saturday. So I'm gonna snug em but not overdo it, use blue locktite, and trim by trial and error! I know it's just a little install, but I'm amped.

[/SIZE][/I]
Unread 12-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I remember tow hooks... they were one of my first "modifications" oh so long ago. I have a pic from back then which should help you with trimming the air dam (see below).

Also on the bolts - I would snug the stock bolts real good, just don't overdo it. Locktite is a good idea, but in reality you can check the hooks/bolts every so often, like every other time you wash the jeep or so. Just pull on them side to side, up and down. Obviously if there is any movement, the bolts are coming loose. A visual inspection will show if any individual bolts are starting to come out, but I really don't think that is likely if you snug them good and especially with the locktite.

Back from "the beginning of time":

PS. Mine were Rusty's tow hooks, but yours will be very similar. Also it will be much easier removing the bumper without the fender liner. I still had mine in for that pic.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
viator

Awesome

I have this and the info from the FAQ, I think I'm good to go. I know it's a lightweight mod, it's just my first, so I'm doing my best to make sure I don't mess it up.

I think I'm going to trim out the air dam when it's off. I'll just trim it way down, I figure it'll allow better access anyway (as opposed to opening it juuuust enough). It's too bad the hook aren't a touch longer, but of course longer hooks would exert more force on the body/brackets. I'm thinking about cutting out the whole area in the future, and fabbing up a basic pop riveted Al recess that would allow greater access. Or I'll just take off the whole damn dam.

[/SIZE][/I]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.