C4x4 Tow Hook Installation Writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > C4x4 Tow Hook Installation Writeup

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

C4x4 Tow Hook Installation Writeup

Couldn't find a good writeup for these hooks and the directions sucked so i decided to do one of my own. It is fairly self explanatory but heck why not.

1. Remove three bolts from the OEM front bumper mount as seen in picture. Use a 15mm socket to do so. *Apply to both bumper ends*

2. Remove two bolts where the plastic fender meets the side panel of the jeep. Use a 5/16 socket to remove. *Apply to both bumper ends*

3. Your bumper should be successfully removed at this point, if you have factory/aftermarket fogs you should remove the wiring that connects the lights but i decided against it.

4. Locate the tab that hooked your factory bumper mounts to, it looks like this.

5. Install the L shaped bracket with two of the shorter bolts included with the brackets. Use a 3/4" socket to do so.

6. Remove the OEM bumper mounts from the bumper itself. You will need a t50 to do so.

7. Place the hook bracket against the unibody followed by the OEM bumper mount, use two short screws and one long screw in the back of the mount. Do so using a 3/4" socket.

*Important* i have found out that the OEM bumper bracket gets in the way of one of the hook bolts, i would highly recommend putting the hook bolts in the bracket before installing to unibody.

8. Reattach Front Bumper

-Kyle

XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
AuburnXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

nice write up!
Congrats on the new hooks

1993 Jeep Cherokee - Trail Rig
6.5" Rusty's LA kit-33x12.5 TSL-Pacesetter Header w/Delta 40-JKS Discos-Tom Woods Driveshaft-Advanced Adapters SYE-Custom CAI
Coming This Summer: 44/9", 4 link rear, and 37s
AuburnXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
dogwonk

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/97up_towhooks.pdf

1993 XJ Sport with RE 3.5" and 33's.
dogwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You are just in time, my man!! Nice job! Mine are going on tomorrow...
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwonk
damn i wish i would have seen that, oh well now JF has one.

-Kyle
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

its a good thing you took a picture of the socket on each bolt. i would have been lost without knowing where the other 2 are
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer419
its a good thing you took a picture of the socket on each bolt. i would have been lost without knowing where the other 2 are
well sam i actually did it just for you, i figured the rest of JF would be ok but i was worried that you were going to have problems

-Kyle
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

From the FAQ.....http://www.sonicjay.com/jeep/97up-xj-hooks.pdf
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

as a side note, the reason for this thread is a JF member requested me to. so i did. plus i was board because it is raining

-Kyle
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Good on ya for it, Kyle! I remember the thread where the guy (can't recall name) asked you to do the write-up. Funny, isn't it, that none of the "helpers" offered links then, y'know???

Oh well, now do one for 96 and older!
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

how about this, you buy me a pre 96 and i will buy the hooks. then you will have your writeup

-Kyle
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Jeepokee

Excellent! I'll be ordering these next week.
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckeryOffroad
Good on ya for it, Kyle! I remember the thread where the guy (can't recall name) asked you to do the write-up. Funny, isn't it, that none of the "helpers" offered links then, y'know???

Oh well, now do one for 96 and older!
Hey Tim, long time no talk.

It should be pretty much the same for your 96, but don't have already have all the factory goodies like tow hooks?
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Sure do, but I was referring to the links to 97+ that were posted. Mostly just tongue-in-cheek really, Kyle did a nice job with the write-up and was living up to a promise he made and then the links start showing up. Kind of like the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished! LOL! Plus I figured maybe it would make some more work for the "helpers" as well!!!

Yeah, been awhile... dialup is too marvelous to give up, really it is, especially when coupled with the horrendous phone cables that Verizon inherited around here. Everytime it rains or snows - which is just about always - the service goes to pot. Erin's got a new beau, reminds me a lot of you actually, we joke about sitting the both of you down so you can make a Mac convert out of him! ha!! We're quite please with hers, and glad for your help always. Maybe I'll try to get on AIM later... BTW, I did get your IM about the club but dialup kicked off long before I would have been able to reply.

Again, nice job, Kyle! And although I have the UpCountry on mine (including front tow hooks as Ryan pointed out), I wouldn't mind sending it out there to ya just so you can see what evil things road salt does to our poor XJ's back here, in case you haven't already seen your share of RBJ's (Rust Belt Jeeps), and in the process give it a momentary gasp of salt-free living.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Staffybull603

i just did mine today on my pre 97...same thing but bumper brackets are attached the bumper and you just need to slide them out a bit to accomidate the bracket in between the bumper bracket and "frame"..its a bit of a pita to get sockets in there and fishing in some of the bolts but its pretty easy to not mess up...
looks like this

Last edited by Staffybull603; 01-05-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Staffybull603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.