c101 connector / renix / disassembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > c101 connector / renix / disassembly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

c101 connector / renix / disassembly

i've searched. haven't found anything specific.

any suggestions/warnings before i try to take it apart and clean it? that gunk looks spooky.

Unread 07-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Not sure what the C101 connector is. What does it go to / come from?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

C101

Disconnect the battery and just be careful. I have read about people hard-wiring the connections to get away from the plug as mentioned in this JPmagazine article:
C-101
For once, we aren't talking about Trasborg's pile of Jeepsters. We've hit on this one before in these pages, but it is worth covering again. The '87, '88, and some of the '89 model years had this wonderful connector, called the C-101 connector. It connected all the wiring from the inside of the Jeep to the wiring outside of the Jeep. The problem is, it is over 20 years old and is mounted right at the top of the firewall where all the water cascading off of a newly-opened hood can go. If all that wasn't enough to prove a point, there is a TSB from Jeep way back in '89 that provided a crankshaft sensor bypass kit and instructions to get around the C-101 connector and keep the Jeep running. Most of the '89 models, and all of the '90 models didn't even have the C-101, they just went to a rubber grommet passing the wires through the firewall.

Prevention: You can build a rain shield for it, or just be aware of it when you open the hood. Periodic disassembly, cleaning, dielectric-greasing, and reassembly also help the issues.

Cure: Get rid of it. Solder all the wires from the inside of the Jeep to the corresponding wires from the outside of the Jeep and heatshrink it. All the issues will be gone forever. The risk is if you cross wires just once you can fry stuff pretty easily.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

well cleaning and dielectric grease was the order of the day for me but it still looks like total **** to be honest. everything on the dash works now and she runs a little better (but that may be from closing some vacuum connections off).

it didn't look like the wire colors would match up at first glance but i wasn't planning on bypassing it today. if they do i think it would be well worth the time to get out the solder and heat shrink tubing.

heck, soldering on the Jeep isn't like real work because you can't bleed from being stupid (the wound cauterizes itself).
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I clean out all the tar crap with a pocket screwdriver real thoroughly. Then, I soak a rag good with Brake Cleaner and wipe off both halves of the connector numerous times. After that, I spray both halves with a good contact cleaner. Wait a bit and then slap on some dielectric grease just before putting it back together. I beleieve this should be done on all of these old Jeeps along with refreshing and adding grounds to the engine area.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

yea. i think i just found another regular maintenance item. and i need to fab up some sort of water shield.
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
poorboy_616
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Disconnect battery, remove center bolt, pull apart, clean, grease, re-assmeble, put the bolt back in, reconnect battery and enjoy!

I've done mine twice, now will be the third time it's been apart since I need to rebuild the engine....
poorboy_616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

doing mine right now... one Philips head screw holding it to the firewall, center bolt is a 1/4" socket.
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

If you have a small pick tool, tighten up the terminals in the connector. You'll see what I mean when you look at it.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the pointer cruiser54, I found that wrapping a small screw driver with a blue paper shop towel worked well at getting the gunk out of the connector.

However, after thoroughly cleaning it 3 times (and connecting it) with no good outcomes, I gave up on it yesterday and replaced the whole thing with butt connectors; just too many variables in that connector to try and control when you're having engine issues. I noticed that it's mostly just engine sensors/control running through that connector? The fuel pump, interior lights, starter, radio, etc. all work with it disconnected. but somehow, it feels like my windows are faster now... dunno how...
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.