A/C Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Woes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
defibvt

A/C Woes

Here is the back story. My a/c went out completely in 93 XJ with the 4.0L, nothing worked, just hot air. I had it diagnosed by a local reputable shop and was told that the compressor had disintegrated and that there were metal shavings throughout the system.

So, I got the bright idea that I could change out the whole system and fix it myself. My buddy and got it all done after about 3 weeks of working on it on our spare time. Our biggest conumdrum was what the D and S meant on the compressor. After some research, a phone call to the dealership, I was told the the D was for discharge and it was the high side and that the S was for suction and the low side. After all lines were hooked up, PAG oil put in the system, and R134a put in the system we figured we had it licked.

But no , For some reason the compressor does not want to kick on. Remember this is a new compressor. We jumped the compressor and are able to get to engage and work but hooking up to the OEM wiring does not work.

Today I changed out the relay under the hood and nothing happened. I am stumped. Any ideas are appreciated?

defibvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you flush the system with the proper flush? If the comp came apart, you should put a new expansion valve as well as a receiver/dryer. Did you evacuate the sysyem before feeding it new freon?
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
defibvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
Did you flush the system with the proper flush? If the comp came apart, you should put a new expansion valve as well as a receiver/dryer. Did you evacuate the sysyem before feeding it new freon?
Everything is new in the whole system. The completely new system was brought down on vacuum and checked for leaks. PAG oil was added and then R134a. The system calls for 38 oz of R134. Our guages told us it was filled correctly and with have 3 empty R134 cans and 1 partially empty R134 cans we knew it was filled correctly.
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There's a 15a fuse somewhere in the system, don't remember if it's under the dash or in the box under the hood. That would be the easiest thing. Might be the relay too. I don't think these have a high pres switch, I think only a low pres. one. Was there metal in the system? Maybe the low pres switch is plugged/stuck telling the system it's low and not cycling the comp?
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are you getting voltage to the electromagnetic clutch on the compressor?
Do you have continuity thru the electromagnet clutch to ground?
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
defibvt

Forgive me for not posting responses. I was at work an unable to post. I will be replacing the low pressure switch and I don't think it has a high pressure switch, at least I can't find one. I will be checking on voltage next week after I work my stretch. Thanks for the ideas.

Tags
a/c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.