A/C Tech Writeup? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Tech Writeup?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Answerguy7

A/C Tech Writeup?

Does anyone know if there's a tech writeup for A/C systems?
I just got an $800 estimate to repair mine and decided I'd like to try fixing it myself for the cost of parts and beer.
I need to retrofit it for R134, replace the lines, reciever drier/accumulator, etc.

Any tech info would be appreciated.

BTW, I searched the forum for over an hour and found nothing. I may be missing it, but I figure I would have found it....

Thanks!

[B][COLOR=DarkRed]Woody Jeep Club Member #1[/COLOR][/B]
*XJ Armor K&N Intake System
*Open cooling system (92+)
*Wildcat 235/75/15 tires
*TJ Rims
*Nice Paint
*No Lift - Not needed for a UAV....

"The grass is always greener where the dogs sh*t...."
Answerguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
andreas970

I would *love* info as well.

I tried swapping out the fittings, mine was already converted to 134, and recharging it, but no good.

I can't get the compressor clutch to kick on.
andreas970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
A/C GUY

you need specal tool to do a conversion. along with what you have already mentioned that you need to replace, you have to flush the system to get the old oil out of the system, the oil that is compatable with 134a is not compatable with the old refrigerant (r12) oil. When the comversion is complete you have to have less that a 2% contamination with the old oil.
The easy way is to replace the hoses, accumulator, condensor, and compressor.
then hope the leak that killed your system is not in the evaporator.
you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the new system when it is all together, along with nitrogen to pressure test and help dry out moistuire. the new compressor may not come with oil, you will need some way of getting the oil in the compressor a hand pump is available for this. then you need about 2 to 3 lbs of refrigerant with out any sealant in it.
Charging the new sysem once you have pressure tested it and evacuated it requires SKILL. Too much refrigerant and your replacing a new compressor, too little and you have no cooling or worse a system that is rapidly cycling. This too could bring you back to the point where a new compressor is needed.
Read up on some basic refrigeration before attempting repairs. Some times a few bucks spent in the right shop could save many dollars in the long run.
A/C GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I took mine to an a/c guy, told him I was removing the system and needed to evacuate the old R-12, He said to reclaim the R-12 he would purge the system and run pressure to it to make sure it was completely purged and empty. Cost to do this???? Free of charge, as he got to keep the reclaimed refrigerant. I then went to advace and for $35 got the 134 conversion kit. and followed the directions...... Results. Cold blowing A/c in my XJ, that I can check and refill as neccessary. No special tools, no a/c tech charging an ungodly amount because they can. Simply remember this, the r-12 system WILL NOT work the same as it did before when you add the new refrigerant, and that the two work similarly, but not exactly the same, therefore the tolerances and pressures are less forgiving with the new R134. However, as long as you have no leaks, or repair them, and stay within the recommended charges you should be satisfied with your a/c system.
If not, there is always the option of 4/55 a/c and onboard air!!
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Answerguy7

Thanks for the great advice, fellas!
Right now, I think the 4/60 cooling is the option for me. I'll start gathering parts until I have a complete AC system to replace and THEN have the shop put it in for me.

Thanks again! I greatly appreciate all the input.
[B][COLOR=DarkRed]Woody Jeep Club Member #1[/COLOR][/B]
*XJ Armor K&N Intake System
*Open cooling system (92+)
*Wildcat 235/75/15 tires
*TJ Rims
*Nice Paint
*No Lift - Not needed for a UAV....

"The grass is always greener where the dogs sh*t...."
Answerguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.