A/C Stopped Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Stopped Working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Dannyboy18

A/C Stopped Working

I tried my A/C for the first time all year yesterday and it does not work. All it does it blow air out the vents rather than click the compressor and fan on. As all of you know, when you turn the A/C on you DEFINITELY hear it working the entire time because of the fan noise... I have none of that.

Note: the A/C is only two years old due to a front end accident.

I'm guessing sensor or something related...? Ideas?

Thanks.

--Dan

AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You are low on freon, you could bypass the low pressure switch to make sure your compressor is good, but you more than likely have a slow leak where they tied the old and new together. Just go to autozone get one of the tall r134 cans with the gauge and turn the ac on and fill er up. That will cost you $20, or you can take it to whoever fixed it for you last and they will charge you $500. You may have to do this every spring, but at $20 a year it is worth it.
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Dannyboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntempest View Post
You are low on freon, you could bypass the low pressure switch to make sure your compressor is good, but you more than likely have a slow leak where they tied the old and new together. Just go to autozone get one of the tall r134 cans with the gauge and turn the ac on and fill er up. That will cost you $20, or you can take it to whoever fixed it for you last and they will charge you $500. You may have to do this every spring, but at $20 a year it is worth it.
Alright I will try and do this on Saturday or Sunday. However, could you please explain the procedure for recharging the A/C on the XJ? I've never done this before.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is very easy, locate the low pressure port on the Aluminum tube coming off the evaporator near the firewall, it has a cap on it. It is on the passenger side.
Buy one of the Tall R134 cans with the built in gauge at the parts store, should be $20-24 dollars. Will be marked max cool or EZcool or some other brand. Read the instructions on the can on how to pierce the can so it is ready to go, the one I used this weekend had a trigger and I liked that verses a valve. Turn the AC on max and connect the can to the low port (it is a quick connect snap coupling, it will not snap on the high port so don't worry. The high port is up on the compressor. A short time after opening the valve or trigger on the can it should start kicking the compressor on. Read the gauge after you let off the trigger or valve and that is the real pressure, it will spike higher when you are pulling the trigger. Depending on how low it may take several minutes to fill up to the full point. I filled mine to about 5 pounds below the full mark on the gauge. I am not sure how accurate those gauges are so I was being conservative. Anybody have anything else to add?

Oh, wear safety glasses, and don't leave the freon can in a hot closed car, theres a good story every time.
Unread 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

One word of caution--with AC systems, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH refrigerant. EVERY YEAR on the various Jeep forums, some poor sucker keeps adding refrigerant to the system WAY PAST the allowable limit, and winds up hydrolocking his compressor and REALLY trashing the system.

If you cannot get it to run with the "DIY" approach suggested previously, I STRONGLY suggest you pay a pro to at least DIAGNOSE your problems, and then fix whatever is "bad" according to that diagnosis, and then pay the pro to evacuate/fill the system correctly.

AC systems are sensitive to being filled properly, and can get REALLY screwed up by not following proper procedures and using proper tools.

Be forewarned......
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.