A/C question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C question

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
josh1011

A/C question

Is there a way to switch r12 over to 134a

josh1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yes change fitting, evacuate system, change compressor oil etc. Do a search online it's not hard. Honestly though if you could get a hold of some R12 for cheap I would stick with it. Good luck!
hshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, as stated, do a little searching. Not much more than removing old refrigerant, cleaning/flushing old oil out of all components, installing new accumulator/dryer, orifice tube and adding new oil and refrigerant......in proper amounts of course. I've done 2 conversions and see just as cold temps with r134a as r12.
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yse, conversion to R134a is quite "do-able". You will need new refrigerant, new R134a compatible oil, and new o-rings on all fittings, along with a new accumulator.

I disagree with "djb383" in that you will NOT need to remove all the old oil, as it tends to settle in the low spots in the system and won't circulate with the R134a anyhow. A flush prior to evacuation and recharge would not be a bad idea anyhow.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
MarkwithaK
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
I disagree with "djb383" in that you will NOT need to remove all the old oil, as it tends to settle in the low spots in the system and won't circulate with the R134a anyhow. A flush prior to evacuation and recharge would not be a bad idea anyhow.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. The oil in 134A is not compatible with the oil used in R-12 and therefor all components should be replaced. That would include the compressor as it was specifically designed to function based on the properties of 12, I know people aren't going to do that but as I said it wold be the correct way to do it. All other components will need to be replaced however. Any easier route would be to replace the R-12 with R-414B (also called Hot Shot). It is what we use in the HVAC/R industry to re-charge old R-12 systems because it is a direct drop in replacement. Locate a commercial HVAC/R tech and see if he would charge your system.

Also keep in mind that if you open up your system you will need to pull a vacuum on it before re-charging it with any refrigerant.
MarkwithaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this. The oil in 134A is not compatible with the oil used in R-12 and therefor all components should be replaced. That would include the compressor as it was specifically designed to function based on the properties......
While your approach is certainly effective, its very conservative and wholly unnecessary on a system that was in decent shape prior to conversion.

I have converted several older systems quite sucessfully without changing compressors (but they were functioning normally before conversion.)

I never suggested the proper oil should not be added to the system in the proper amounts, but leaving some old R12 type oil in the system is not automatically bad, if the amount is not excessive.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
josh1011

would it be easyer to use "freeze 12" i found on amazon
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
josh1011

another thing thats off topic what does it mean if when i start up my jeep at idle it makes a quiet rattle and the motor shakes a bit but then at about 1000 rpm it clears out and runs smooth. keep in mind the check engin light is off and the oil may need to be changed soon.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've never heard anyone removing there compressor running r12 and replacing it completely just because of the r134 conversion. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if your compressor works fine just have it switched over fallowing proper protocol. Again I would just stick with R12 if you could locate it online or use the compatible version as stated above. Honestly it seems more cost effective to leave as is. Good luck!
hshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.