A/C problems on XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C problems on XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Presidente042
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A/C problems on XJ

I have a Cherokee Sport 2000 and have been having issues with the A/C. I have had it recharged and have replaced the condensor fan assembly/motor and the compressor is one year old.

The issue is that the compressor kicks on for about four-five seconds and then off again for about the same amount of time. When I first start the vehicle and turn on AC the compressor kicks on and runs consistently for a while producing cold air, the condensor fan does nothing for a long while even with compressor running. Then I take a short drive down the road and back..when I return(or somewhere along the road)- the compressor is cycling as I already mentioned AND is no longer producing the ice cold air but tepid..or slightly cool air, but not cold.

I have read a few of the posts and see mention of blend doors as well as sensors/pressure switches on the AC line.

Can anyone give me some advice? I am in Louisiana and the summers here are hot, humid, and long.

Thanks in advance.

Presidente042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

the condenser fan should kick on as soon as you select the a/c to on. if it isnt you need to find out why. there is a relay in the pdb under the hood just aft of the battery. swap it out and see if it comes on then. sounds like its building up pressure and your pressure switch is what is cycling the compressor on and off.
thats how it is on my 1999 cherokee i would imagine a 2000 is the same operation.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.