A/C Pressure Readings Out of Whack - Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Pressure Readings Out of Whack - Need Help!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
leichte

A/C Pressure Readings Out of Whack - Need Help!

My a/c hasn't worked for a few years (since I got the 87 XJ) and never messed with it until now. I checked the low side pressure and it showed zero. When I tried to add refrigerant the gauge needle shot into the red zone showing it was over charged.

I had heard that this can happen and to try for 30 seconds and see if gauge lowers. It didn't. So which reading is correct? How can I tell? The reading with both taken with the engine on. However, the compressor doesn't seem to be engaging, which I heard can happen when the refridge gets too low.

When I turn on the a/c at max, the pulley turns but the middle part (the compressor?) doesn't. Again, I was told that can happen with the refridge is low. I reseated the a/c relay but didn't change anything (i didn't clean the connections but I may just get a new one and try it).

Not sure how to tell if the compressor is bad or if there is another problem. I've heard of people jumping it but I'm not very good with that kind of thing. How do you do it?

I know I can take it to a shop but I'm trying not to spend the money unless I absolutely need too.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

leichte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make a jumper wire and use at the high pressure switch( usually located near the dryer(accumulater). Btw, the gauge pressures don't mean anything unless you compressor clutch is engaged( the center part you referenced)
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yep^, but it would be the low pressure switch. Jump the pressure switch to cycle the compressor. While your watching the gauge, pressure should drop and it should need more refrigerant. If the pressure dosent drop after a few seconds of cycling your have other issues.
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
leichte

I know this is probably a basic question but how do I do the jumper wire. Do I run from the battery to the pressure switch? To the battery or the battery lug on the starter relay?
leichte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
csmith
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just jump across the terminals inside the plug with the Ac switch engaged of course.if you have power here it will force your compressor to engage. If not take a simple test light and verify power at the plug and work backwards to find the issue
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , air conditioner , compressor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.