A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #91
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Great problem solving and write up! I was wandering around the shop a few nights ago scoping and scrounging parts off a few engines for that exact same project. On several occasions I've been pelted by broken or jammed airlines that were snapping at my @ss like Indiana Jones so I believe the one main difference in my system is that all of my onboard 'plumbing' will be hardline tucked into the framerail. I'd be mortified if a line popped, ripped an interior panel loose and beat the hell out of my passenger(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
I relocated my alt. up to where the compressor is usually.
Excellent idea, do you have any write up info or photos for us?

Wm

Last edited by HeepToJeep; 01-16-2008 at 11:14 PM..
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #92
xcannibalx
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A little off topic, i searched the net, and didn't have fantastic results.

I'm putting a TBI 350 into my jeep, and wondering if the stock AC pump on Chevy works in the similar manner as the jeep (aka, using the tool oiler...etc)
xcannibalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #93
Jeepthing88
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well done man! great work
Jeepthing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #94
TxRex
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was wondwering what I was going to use that useless a/c compressor for! I copied your parts list, but where did you get your parts from? While my girl is down I want to do this mod while waiting on UPS to deliver my other parts!
l--___--[=lllllll=]
()_)' '()_)---)_)

1997 XJ- 3.5 Skyjacker + 31" Pro Comp All Terrains

RIP - 1988 YJ - Gone but not forgotten[/B][/SIZE]
TxRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #95
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcannibalx
A little off topic, i searched the net, and didn't have fantastic results.

I'm putting a TBI 350 into my jeep, and wondering if the stock AC pump on Chevy works in the similar manner as the jeep (aka, using the tool oiler...etc)
it depends, if its a roatary then yes, if its a piston compressor then it should hold oil in the crankcase.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #96
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRex
I was wondwering what I was going to use that useless a/c compressor for! I copied your parts list, but where did you get your parts from? While my girl is down I want to do this mod while waiting on UPS to deliver my other parts!
The tank i got on ebay but can be bought on quadrtec, the manifold came from www.northerntool.com, and pressure switch was from quadratec. Everything else was bought at a hardware store.
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #97
asp87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

awesome thread. lots of great ideas. like everyone else, too bad i have good AC.

i'm gonna be cutting out my rockers and welding in some big square tubing, think i'm gonna tie the tubes together and make them my tanks, somehow. they won't be compressed for a long time, but someday.

any thoughts on putting in a valve that you could put on a switch that could go between running AC and compressing air?
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #98
Flexin' XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is possible but not very cost effective. Once you open the system, you will lose the freon and then you won't have AC. You could possibly T-off both lines at the compressor with a valve on each of the 4 lines. Then open the AC valves when you want AC and the air valves when you want air. But each time you do that, you will lose some freon that is trapped between the AC line and the compressor. Use the air enough times, you will lose all the freon. You would have to buy some AC manifold gauges to check the pressure in the system and to tell if you need to recharge your AC system.

You would also need to get valves that don't have any plastic in them since the plastic may not be compatible with r134-a freon. The freon might eat the plastic then you will have leaks.
JKS Discos
JKS Adjustable Track Bar
JCR 1-Ton Steering Conversion
Edelbrock Ceramic Header w/full 2.5" exhaust
33x12.50x15 SSRs
Aussie in front, LSD in rear
Death Wobble
Member GLFWDA
Flexin' XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #99
mall_crawler
1996 XJ Cherokee 

all i can say is GREAT write-up!!!!!!

The Trail Never Ends.....
mall_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #100
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just wondering hows it holding up? have you made any changes? do you plan on any changes? what type of use has it seen?
cox_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #101
MTY Mouse
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Next mod, here I come....
MTY Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #102
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox_xj View Post
just wondering hows it holding up? have you made any changes? do you plan on any changes? what type of use has it seen?
Sorry must have missed this.. But its been holding up great and i use it once a week atleast. Especially with the wet conditions with the snow/melting snow. Everyone im with, normally a group of about 4, airs down and then i air them back up. My only issue has been the fact that on really cold days, like in the 20's, a couple of the exterior fittings leak a little bit, but on warm days no issue.
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #103
GS450LZ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Air management for conversion to OBA

Thanks Russo for this great write up. I'm starting my conversion next weekend. I found a website that provides parts and air management materials at a reasonable price. Actually, very reasonable. I've already ordered my tank, pressure switch and gauges from there. They specialize in air suspension setups, but the parts can still be used for OBA setups. check it out.
https://www.truckinsuspension.com/
GS450LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #104
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I finished my setup and its works great. Thanks Matt.

| 5" of lift | Custom Bumpers | Black Rockcrawlers with 35x12.50 BFG MT's | Custom Rock Rails | Homebrewed OBA | Custom Roof Rack Loaded | Tube Doors |

Play 4x4Country.CLICK HERE
RuffedUpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #105
HCA-Bronco

D*&m dude that is a great write up, I can see what Mod I'm doing next...
[URL=http://www.supermotors.org/users/Wolfinflorida]Cherokee and Bronco Pics[/URL] [URL=http://community.webshots.com/album/483360060KiIdaI]Our Webshots page with Jeep pics[/URL]
HCA-Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.