A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #61
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny7
RussoGuitar

What type of material are your red hoses made of (rubber, pvc)? Did you just buy a 50 ft. air hose and cut that up?

What type of oil are you using in the inline oiler to lubricate the compressor? How do you know how much oil the inline oiler is putting out and if it is enough for the compressor?
The red hose is rubber air line, its the same material that a pre made airline is made out of. My local hardware store sells it by the foot so i bought about 30 ft of it and had like a foot and a half left over. Im using airtool oil in the lubricater right now. It seems to be working fine because the recovery filter is collecting a bit of oil in it. Ive used this system almost everyday since i put the it in and all seems well.

RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #62
eflores
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Crawlorado Springs/Wichita Falls
Posts: 857
how do you keep your compressors oiled? just oil them like an air tool? daily?
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #63
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores
how do you keep your compressors oiled? just oil them like an air tool? daily?
I used an in line oiler. When the levle gets low in it i top it off. Its covered in the write up.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #64
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 5,580
As I was being stupid and sold my perfectly working A/C compressor awhile back (my condenser was leaking -> no A/C), I had to get myself a "new" one to do this. I had been wondering if this was doable or not, and after reading this write-up I decided to give it a go. Great write-up


The only difference with my setup will be that I'll put the compressor where the alt. is normally - I relocated my alt. up to where the compressor is usually. I'll need to fab a some sort of a bracket to mount it, but it should be an easy thing to do.
__________________
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/


1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #65
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
As I was being stupid and sold my perfectly working A/C compressor awhile back (my condenser was leaking -> no A/C), I had to get myself a "new" one to do this. I had been wondering if this was doable or not, and after reading this write-up I decided to give it a go. Great write-up


The only difference with my setup will be that I'll put the compressor where the alt. is normally - I relocated my alt. up to where the compressor is usually. I'll need to fab a some sort of a bracket to mount it, but it should be an easy thing to do.
Glad i could help..
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #66
crosbike3688
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: cape cod/suffield ct
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
You could disconnect the A/C lines, and then you can either turn it over by hand, (which obviously youd have to take the belt off) or start it up and engage the clutch, and just check for good suction/output. Id do it by hand... And im not responsible if you hurt your self doing this Chances are its probably fine.
By engaging the clutc do you mean just turning the controls to AC?
I did that and got nothing. Bad pump i assume?
__________________
[U]1994 Jeep Cherokee[/U]
SYE,6" RE with tnt y-link long arms,
33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains, Nates 4x4 custom winch bumper

[QUOTE=ktmracer419]either way thats ridiculously peepee enlargingly tall.[/QUOTE]
crosbike3688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #67
eflores
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Crawlorado Springs/Wichita Falls
Posts: 857
now the question is how to intall an electronic pressure control valve to trigger the compressor clutch and then killit when full


that would be nice
__________________
AEKDB

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #68
crosbike3688
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: cape cod/suffield ct
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores
now the question is how to intall an electronic pressure control valve to trigger the compressor clutch and then killit when full


that would be nice
is that not what the pressure switch does?
__________________
[U]1994 Jeep Cherokee[/U]
SYE,6" RE with tnt y-link long arms,
33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains, Nates 4x4 custom winch bumper

[QUOTE=ktmracer419]either way thats ridiculously peepee enlargingly tall.[/QUOTE]
crosbike3688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #69
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosbike3688
By engaging the clutc do you mean just turning the controls to AC?
I did that and got nothing. Bad pump i assume?
no i installed a toggle switch that takes the place of using the ac controls... the ac controls wont work.., just to test the clutch you can use i jumper wire from from the plug that goes to clutch to the batter and you should hear the clutch click.

Last edited by RussoGuitar; 12-29-2007 at 10:25 PM..
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #70
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores
now the question is how to intall an electronic pressure control valve to trigger the compressor clutch and then killit when full


that would be nice
hmmm.... read the write up.. i did just that using a pressure switch
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #71
AdrJunkie
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 69
This might be a stupid question, but I have never worked with tanks and air lines.

After the T-fitting, the first hose just goes to the front for a quick dissconnect. But when you run the hose to the back, does it go into the manifold and then into the tank, then just run the second hook up from the tank, or vice versa.
AdrJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #72
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrJunkie
This might be a stupid question, but I have never worked with tanks and air lines.

After the T-fitting, the first hose just goes to the front for a quick dissconnect. But when you run the hose to the back, does it go into the manifold and then into the tank, then just run the second hook up from the tank, or vice versa.
The airline runs to the tank, then to the manifold, and from the manifold to the rear connect, but it doesn't matter how you do it. You could put the tank or manifold anywhere on the system, pressure is the same throughout.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #73
crosbike3688
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: cape cod/suffield ct
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
no i installed a toggle switch that takes the place of using the ac controls... the ac controls wont work.., just to test the clutch you can use i jumper wire from from the plug that goes to clutch to the batter and you should hear the clutch click.
gotcha thanks for the clarification
__________________
[U]1994 Jeep Cherokee[/U]
SYE,6" RE with tnt y-link long arms,
33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains, Nates 4x4 custom winch bumper

[QUOTE=ktmracer419]either way thats ridiculously peepee enlargingly tall.[/QUOTE]
crosbike3688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #74
AdrJunkie
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
The airline runs to the tank, then to the manifold, and from the manifold to the rear connect, but it doesn't matter how you do it. You could put the tank or manifold anywhere on the system, pressure is the same throughout.
alright thanks, I'm probably going to do mine real soon!!!
AdrJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #75
rocketman121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 353
Here are a couple of pics when I finished.



__________________
-87 XJ 4.0 5spd, 2"BB, 31" BFG ATs on 15x8 Eagle 058s, trimmed and doorless
-01 TJ 4cyl auto FT 3" lift 33" Goodyear AT/S & BFG muds herculined tub
rocketman121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.