A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 10-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #46
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

the 'box' at the firewall is from the evap, yes that line can go

the line running to the 'radiator' runs to the condensor (in front of radiator) yes it can be removed

the black cylinder and any lines running to it can be removed as well

not sure on the wiring

cox_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #47
rocketman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox_xj
the 'box' at the firewall is from the evap, yes that line can go

the line running to the 'radiator' runs to the condensor (in front of radiator) yes it can be removed

the black cylinder and any lines running to it can be removed as well

not sure on the wiring
Cool, was just a little hesitant on completely removing those things, now I can.

One the other hand - I took the two lead hoses to home depot. Looked for fittings to go from the compressor to standard 3/4 NPT, but had no luck. Anyone know if these are Jeep specific?
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #48
eflores
1989 XJ Cherokee 

really very cool but its too bad my A/C still works and i DD mine
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #49
hacked96

To keep from overheating the hoses from the compressor, I simply used the stock hoses which can handle the heat, just cut them in the metal section back passed the rubber section and slip air hose over them and clap, simple and no heat issues.
hacked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 06:20 AM   #50
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman121
One the other hand - I took the two lead hoses to home depot. Looked for fittings to go from the compressor to standard 3/4 NPT, but had no luck. Anyone know if these are Jeep specific?
Are you going to re use the A/C hoses? I think im lost a little, haha. If your taking the A/C fittings off your compressor like i did (mine were on the back though) you need a 3/4 to 3/8 or 3/4 to 1/4 NPT pipe reducer. It will be tricky for you cause youll need to have somthing with an elbow right away to clear the hood. When you said 3/4NPT did you mean 1/4 NPT? If your leaving the A/C fittings then im pretty sre those are just regular NPT threads, not sure of the size, but maybe take the whole valve fitting thingy off the compressor and bring it in to homedepot to find the fitting.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #51
rocketman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
Are you going to re use the A/C hoses? I think im lost a little, haha. If your taking the A/C fittings off your compressor like i did (mine were on the back though) you need a 3/4 to 3/8 or 3/4 to 1/4 NPT pipe reducer. It will be tricky for you cause youll need to have somthing with an elbow right away to clear the hood. When you said 3/4NPT did you mean 1/4 NPT? If your leaving the A/C fittings then im pretty sre those are just regular NPT threads, not sure of the size, but maybe take the whole valve fitting thingy off the compressor and bring it in to homedepot to find the fitting.
I dont plan on reusing the a/c hoses. I just took them with me instead of completely removing the a/c fittings. Because the a/c fittings were already at a 90 angle.

Ill remove the a/c fittings, then are the connections on the actual compressor standard?

The inline oiler and inline filter I bought have 3/4NPT on one side and 1/4NPT on the other. So yes, I need to go from the compressor to 3/4NPT, then the output is reduced down to 1/4NPT. Maybe this will make more sense.

air filter - 1/4NPT - OILER - 3/4NPT - 90*elbow - compressor

compressor - 90*elbow - 3/4NPT - FILTER - 1/4NPT - manifold etc.
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #52
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I dont plan on reusing the a/c hoses. I just took them with me instead of completely removing the a/c fittings. Because the a/c fittings were already at a 90 angle.

Ill remove the a/c fittings, then are the connections on the actual compressor standard?

The inline oiler and inline filter I bought have 3/4NPT on one side and 1/4NPT on the other. So yes, I need to go from the compressor to 3/4NPT, then the output is reduced down to 1/4NPT. Maybe this will make more sense.

air filter - 1/4NPT - OILER - 3/4NPT - 90*elbow - compressor

compressor - 90*elbow - 3/4NPT - FILTER - 1/4NPT - manifold etc.
Ah yes i gotcha now, it probably would be easiest to use the A/C fittings like you said, since theyre already 90 degrees. If you take the the the A/C fittings off the copressor the ports are 3/4 NPT threads. And wow, i didnt think you could get an inline oiler with such a big end on it. The adapter you need will probably be in the pipe section, not the air section. Have you looked through all the black pipe fittings yet? I got a 3/4 NPT to 3/8 for my compressor, so you should be able to find one that goes to your a/c fitting.
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #53
hacked96

Don't put the inline oiler, air filter or anything plastic directly to the compressor, it will melt under heavy use.
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #54
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacked96
Don't put the inline oiler, air filter or anything plastic directly to the compressor, it will melt under heavy use.
I have the oiler, which has metal ends and a plastic body right on the compressor. I havent had any issues and have used it heavily. The intake gets warm because of the heat the compressor generates, but not nearly as much as the output and i think an oiler will be okay there.
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #55
rocketman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacked96
I dont believe the oiler would get hot enough to melt. Its just sucking in air thru a filter.

Im more worried about the inline filter, which is why im running a 3-4 foot brass or braided steel hose from the compressor.

If it does melt, ill just fab up a metal bowl. The oiler/filter combo was only 15 bucks at harbor freight.
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #56
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I dont believe the oiler would get hot enough to melt. Its just sucking in air thru a filter.

Im more worried about the inline filter, which is why im running a 3-4 foot brass or braided steel hose from the compressor.

If it does melt, ill just fab up a metal bowl. The oiler/filter combo was only 15 bucks at harbor freight.
3-4 foot will work great, and will get rid of a lot the heat espicially if you use copper tubing. If you do have a problem with the filter, (i assume youre talking about the filter on the output), i got the Kobalt filter from lowes. Its got a metal top and the bowl is glass and its held up fine. 11 dollars...
Unread 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #57
joshs1ofakindxj

using a regular tool oiler isnt suffiecient for the sanden compressor. you need a MIST LUBRICATOR to ensure that the correct amount of oil is going through.
joshs1ofakindxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #58
rocketman121

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj
using a regular tool oiler isnt suffiecient for the sanden compressor. you need a MIST LUBRICATOR to ensure that the correct amount of oil is going through.
Ya, ya I've heard that. But i scored both the oiler and filter for 15 bucks total. I'm not spending upwards of 40-60 dollars just for a mist oiler. I dont/wont use the OBA system that often.
Unread 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #59
hacked96

Putting the dryer as far away from the compressor is best. A compressor pumps hot air loaded with evaporated water which small cheap dryers don't pick up.Distance between the compressor and the dryer allows the air to cool and the moisture to condensate inside the line and get picked up by the dryer as water. Otherwise the hot air loaded with evaporated water blows straight through the dryer and condensates in your air hose which spews water. My airline snakes all the way through to the back of the vehicle with the filter right at the air hose connector just like you would see in a shop, no moisture at all.
Unread 10-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #60
Jonny7
1990 XJ Cherokee 

RussoGuitar

What type of material are your red hoses made of (rubber, pvc)? Did you just buy a 50 ft. air hose and cut that up?

What type of oil are you using in the inline oiler to lubricate the compressor? How do you know how much oil the inline oiler is putting out and if it is enough for the compressor?
Jonny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.