A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #31
rocketman121

RussoGuitar,

Have you had any problems with the output hose getting too hot?
I have read other OBA setups and they either used copper or braided steel hose because of extreme heat, right after the output on the compressor.

Unread 10-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #32
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman121
RussoGuitar,

Have you had any problems with the output hose getting too hot?
I have read other OBA setups and they either used copper or braided steel hose because of extreme heat, right after the output on the compressor.
Very funny you say that.. Yesterday i gave the system a real work out. After wheelin i aired up 5 jeeps from about 8 psi to 30psi. 3 of vehicles had 33's, one had 34's, and one had 35's So thats 20 large tires with no breaks in between. By the end the hose coming directly off the compressor was so soft from the heat build up that it began to severly deform at the clamp and started to leak. It felt like i could rip it with my hand. It seems that the heat generated by the compressor along with underhodd temps was to much for the hose to handle, so i swapped out the one peice of hose that comes off the compressor for copper tubing. My original plan was coil a length of it to dissapate heat but that was taking to long. After i made this mod i ran the system for about 20 minutes non stop as i wire wheeled the doors on my buddy's jeep. (he took his molding off and i was removing the glue. The copper tubing did its job and the rest of the airline didnt get soft.

Last edited by RussoGuitar; 10-23-2007 at 04:59 AM..
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #33
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

damn if i didn't love my ice cold AC id do this in a heart beat.....but the ice cold AC is so good
cox_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #34
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox_xj
damn if i didn't love my ice cold AC id do this in a heart beat.....but the ice cold AC is so good
Yeah i didnt care about A/C, and my a/c was a pain in the *** to keep it working right anyway. You could get another a/c comp from a junkyard and mount it next to the existing one to retain your ac.. but that was just more work and money for me.
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #35
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

could you PM me a pic of your engine bay as a whole?
Unread 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #36
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
could you PM me a pic of your engine bay as a whole?
Will this do? I could get a better one if you really want.. this was taken before i switched to the peice of copper tubing.
Unread 10-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #37
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

awsome setup i know what i'm going to start soon, i think i might go with a bigger tank though

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM   #38
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yeah that works, its looks like if i go ahead with my battery relocation and reroute the upper radiator hose i should be able to make some sort or bracket to mount it next to the original AC one

then its a matter of re routing the belt
Unread 10-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #39
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yeah that works, its looks like if i go ahead with my battery relocation and reroute the upper radiator hose i should be able to make some sort or bracket to mount it next to the original AC one

then its a matter of re routing the belt
Yeah that should work... you could eliminate the airbox with a cone style filter, and then mount the battery where the airbox was.
Unread 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #40
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
Yeah that should work... you could eliminate the airbox with a cone style filter, and then mount the battery where the airbox was.
nah i'd prefer battery in the back

and my intake is for from stock, so far that its on the roof
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #41
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
nah i'd prefer battery in the back

and my intake is for from stock, so far that its on the roof
ah gotcha...
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #42
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Good news checked the AC compessor and it was a pumping and sucking when I hot wired it. So time to start collecting stuff to do this. Sweet. Thanks Russ

| 5" of lift | Custom Bumpers | Black Rockcrawlers with 35x12.50 BFG MT's | Custom Rock Rails | Homebrewed OBA | Custom Roof Rack Loaded | Tube Doors |

Play 4x4Country.CLICK HERE
RuffedUpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #43
cox_xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar
ah gotcha...
when i get my rig back monday i'll prolly end up spending 3 hours staring at the motor and designing the system
Unread 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #44
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffedUpXJ
Good news checked the AC compessor and it was a pumping and sucking when I hot wired it. So time to start collecting stuff to do this. Sweet. Thanks Russ
No prob man.. deffinently gonna be worth it.
Unread 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #45
rocketman121

I'm outside slowing working/planning this out. I just need some clarification on a few things...

First, as I'm disconnecting the a/c lines (got it professionally evacuated), what needs to get thrown away? One line coming out of the compressor heads to this box...what is it?

Second, the other line coming out of the compressor travels to the radiator, then thru another hose ending at the black cylinder (bottom right). Can this be removed as well?

Third, there are two wires running off the Sanden, they join each other and turn into a single orange wire. It then travels to the huge wad of wires at the bottom of the pic. Can i simply cut this wire and wire my pressure switch?

Sorry for all the questions, first time for everything. And Id rather learn what all this stuff is than just removing parts and trashing them.

-Chris

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.