A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #226
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 also doesn't have a/c, no controls and no compressor.

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #227
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
My 99 also doesn't have a/c, no controls and no compressor.
I'd love to see pictures. I spent $40 for a bypass pulley when I yanked my AC compressor.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #228
ColdWarrior
1991 XJ Cherokee 

This write up was AWESOME. Here's shots of my take on it.

Got all the pieces for the OBA...except the damn solenoid.

Got a manifold all pieced together. But I needed a place to put it under the hood and a way to mount. Found this T bracket at my local hardware store.

The manifold had one port in the rear and I used a 'flush' plug to close it. There was enough threads hanging out I could use the brass cap to attach it to the bracket.

Cut a piece of metal to mock up the bends I would need to make to the bracket,

Next I made sure my system was empty. Then I removed the original AC lines from the back of the compressor. I also tested the clutch prior to all this by running a hot wire from the positive terminal to the single wire going into the AC compressor.

Started off on the intake side. Some blue monster tape and a pipe reducers and an inline air tool oiler. On the AC system the Freon lubricates the compressor, the oiler draws tool oil straight into the compressor.

Then came the swing check valve. This has a swinging gate valve (Controlled by gravity) that keeps the air from flowing back into the compressor from the system and tank. Make sure you get one that has ALL metal internals. The air coming out of the compressor for about the first couple feet is over 200 degrees.

Next comes the inline filter (draws out water and small debris). I didn't want it to hang unsupported on the hoses, so I needed something to make a bracket out of. Viola......a metal bookend.

Cut it, then mount it with a nut/bolt. Ziptie the filter to the new bracket.

Then slide the hose over the barb fittings on the compressor, filter in and out and the manifold. I used High Heat Silicone hose (again the first 2 feet of air is HOT) for this part, along with crush clamps.

Then I ran an intake line around behind the cooling bottle and up along the inner fender. Still waiting on my mini intake filter.

Im planning on running air ports front and rear, plus my airhorns. Stared off by running the front line down the inner fender on the passenger side, and down behind the battery tray to under the headlight. There I T'd off, one direction for the air chuck, the other towards the airhorn solenoid.

Then used a self tapper and loop to stabilize the T.

Ran airline from the open part of the T to the new 12v solenoid that showed up. Used more self tappers to mount it to the front facia under the temp sensor.

As you can see above I grounded it to the frame, then ran the other side over to my stock horn lead. I cut the end of the lead off and then used 'solder seals' to bind the three way connection together. These things are spendy, but so worth if for a weather tight soldered connection.

Wired and tucked it all into the loom.

Then I connected everything to the pressure switch using 'perma seal' female spades, taped it all up and tucked it away.

I ran the rear airline down behind the brake booster and ziptied it to the brakelines all the way to the rear, then brought it up and behind the driver side tail light housing. I will probably redo this by drilling and using water tight grommets and silicone. I don't like the way it pushes the light housing out.

I pulled out the inner trim and ran the hose through.

The tank would fit perfectly....but only if I got rid of the base of the spare tire bracket. So I pulled the bracket and secured the tank hook. Gonna band the body of the tank to the upper spare tire bracket with heavy metal lined zip tie.

Hang the tank. Note the other second hole in the panel. I will be running a second line out of the tank to an airchuck under the rear bumper, but I ran out of airline.

Plugged the extra hole.
ColdWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #229
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just got my front quick disconnect in. I didn't like the idea of just letting the quick disconnect dangle on the rubber hose so i went overboard and secured it. Custom brackets and some other shenanigans. These pictures should show it better.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #230
ColdWarrior
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Just got my front quick disconnect in. I didn't like the idea of just letting the quick disconnect dangle on the rubber hose so i went overboard and secured it. Custom brackets and some other shenanigans. These pictures should show it better.

Now that's pretty damn epic.
ColdWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #231
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet! Awesome right up!
Nik-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #232
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hudson, what did you do to filter the intake air?

I am planning on board air in the future, I plan to use the engine air box for a filtered source like we do on tractor trailers.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #233
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
Hudson, what did you do to filter the intake air?

I am planning on board air in the future, I plan to use the engine air box for a filtered source like we do on tractor trailers.
Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't see your post.

Here's a picture of my setup. Totally overboard i know.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #234
Elexwiz
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think it's overboard. I think it's smart. You made a one piece module that can be quickly and easily removed to clean the filter or to just get it out of the way for other repairs. Nice work!
1987 XJ 4.0 I6, Peugeot tranny, NP231, AA SYE, 8.25" 29 spline, Dana 30 (HP), Rusty’s 4.5 inch coils, BDS 5500 4.5" shocks, 5" junkyard bastard pack, Rusty’s Adj LCAs, RC Quick Discos, JKS BPEs (front and rear), Aussie Lockers (front and rear), Durango steering box, and Removable Doors!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #235
DaveS01
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im bringing this thread back from the dead...
Could someone make a parts list of things I can order off amazon?

Im ready to start this project, but have never dealt with pneumatic setups like this...and really need some help on exactly what I need.
DaveS01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #236
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Excited about doing this conversion, as a fireman, I was wanting to do something tied in with that, hoping to find a decommisioned carbon fiber SCBA tank, have that kick *** look.
petertom13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #237
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertom13
Excited about doing this conversion, as a fireman, I was wanting to do something tied in with that, hoping to find a decommisioned carbon fiber SCBA tank, have that kick *** look.
I used and aluminum scuba tank,

image-949114135.jpg

Don't mind the cheapo subs lol
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #238
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=austin6137;25808266]I used and aluminum scuba tank,

Attachment 1631738

Looks good, got fire chief looking for me, he deals with equipment as well. Shouldn't be to hard to find an old SCBA tank, been collecting parts from work as well (mostly pneumatic manufacturing) they throw out a lot of good items, I should be able to do this conversion without too much money spent. Thinking just the inline oiler, cleanout, and high temp hose should be only items I need to purchase.
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #239
petertom13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to ask this question, not sure if many are still following this thread, but has anyone put a quick release on their tank, and mounted them so that they could be removed and used as a bubble? I'm thinking I'm going to mount mine on my passenger rear fender, but I'm hoping to mount it in a way that I can use it as a portable bubble, if needed.
Unread 10-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #240
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137
I used and aluminum scuba tank, Don't mind the cheapo subs lol

I've found a couple scuba tanks on Craigslist for 20 bucks a piece. Was wondering how you set yours up to use as a tank?

Anyway this would be able to be ran without a tank? Or would it not have enough pressure unless built up.
Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.