A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #211
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I know this ? Was asked

But do I have to have a air tank or can I just run the air straight off ac and cut out the ressure switches an ect and only have the oilers an the on and off switch for the ac clutch? I rarely use air as I usually only 4*4 in snow an have no reason to drop my psi in my tires. So id only use it when the pressure is low which is very rare. Thank you

Sorenabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #212
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Sure, you can run straight off the compressor, it will just take longer to air up a tire, and its doubtful that it would run an air tool (if you ever wanted to), with no air reservoir.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #213
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thank you very. No not any time soon. By that time ill have a tank and ect installed. So that means all I real need is the filter, oiler, the de-oiler(im terrible with names) and thenthe fittings of course with hose? Thank you
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #214
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

When it comes down to it, it's really not that much more expensive to get an air tank. When I did my conversion, I used med-high quality parts for the oiler and air/oil separator (de-oiler); so the added cost of a tank would have been relatively nothing. You can find them on craigslist for cheap. Look for a cheap pancake compressor and just pull the motor/pump off and use the tank.

The only problem with a tank is finding a place to put it. I wanted mine outside of the cabin, so I cheated and made my own. 2 lengths of 3/16" x 4" x 4" tube made approx 3 gallons (IIRC). I put it under the driver seat; it's plenty strong and made a great skid plate. It sits about an inch lower than the frame rail, but well above any stock style skid plate.

The problem is, it's sitting in my garage unused right now. Want it? I'm up in Portland so shipping should be too expensive.

Here's pic of the mounting location... (it's the red thing)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #215
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm, how much are you wantin for it? I've been lookin for one thats long and skinny so that I can mount it under my front heavy duty bumper. I like havin as much room in the cabin as possible as well. But I been to broke to buy one.
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #216
Sorenabel
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Now that I've takin out all of my ac parts (not the compressor itself, just the hoses, the radiator type piece in front of the radiatot) my jeep makes a whistle sound while running an driving. Does anyone know why its doin that an if its bad and how do I stop it?
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #217
jahlborn
2006 WK 

Check the idle pulleys. Mine made a whistle sounds and a few starts later, shot bearings across the garage. If the compressor hasn't run in a while, it'll probably be puttin more stress on the pulleys
1988 Comanche-New Project
jahlborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #218
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Could simply be because of altered airflow across the radiator, due to the AC condenser being removed.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #219
OLDBEAR12345
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Box in your bumpers or use pipe for bumpers for an air tank.
OLDBEAR12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #220
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You may have mentioned it but I havnt read al the posts. Where and how did you mount the oiler mechanism?
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #221
OLDBEAR12345
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Then came the intake. The Sanden compressors are lubricated by the freon in the A/C system. With no freon you have to have an alternate way of lubricating the conpressor. The most common and efficent method is to use an inline air tool oiler, which is what i did.
OLDBEAR12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #222
XJ-Wing

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am in the process of converting my Sanden compressor to OBA. I think I have all of the fittings, tubing, oilers, etc set up correctly... I am struggling with which wire on the the compressor to tie into a manual switch and pressure regulator switch. Can anyone provide a picture or written instructions?

EDIT: OK, I figured it out. There are two wire going into the compressor. One that terminates on the outside of the plate that holds the clutch assembly on (this is the ground), and the other wire goes into the clutch (this is the one that provides power to activate the clutch).
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #223
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What a killer write up. Thanks so much Russo! I'll be doing this once I can start wrenching on the Jeep again. Bookmarked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #224
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am stoked I have been wanting/reading on how to get OBA for a while. $$$ being the big issue. My jeep doesn't have AC, but it should be easy enough to pick up a compressor and bracket and new belt. Will add a bit to the total price, but well worth it.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #225
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
I am stoked I have been wanting/reading on how to get OBA for a while. $$$ being the big issue. My jeep doesn't have AC, but it should be easy enough to pick up a compressor and bracket and new belt. Will add a bit to the total price, but well worth it.
How does your 99 not have AC? I thought it was a standard 97 +. I'd love to see a pic of your engine bay.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.