A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #196
jeepin_in_a_94
1994 XJ Cherokee 

finished mine about a month ago but just now getting around to posting up pics. ive only had one chance to use it since i really only drive it when im home from school and that rarely happens these days, but any way it worked amazingly even with a couple of small leaks on the out going side of the compressor. filled up two sets of tires after airing down for the trail in about 15-20 minutes

I had to custom make a fitting on the incoming side because i couldnt find one at the store that would work. took the stock coupler nut from the stock a/c plumbing and machined it out a bit then took a piece of threaded pipe and ground the threads down on one side and welded the two together.

ran the hose through the fire wall, then through the glove box, then down along the trim on the passenger side, then under the back seat and then finally to the tank.

Manifold and switch box. Nice big pressure gauge, 175 psi safety valve, 120 - 150 pressure switch.

'86 MJ XLS (family toy/budget build) - 5-ish inches of lift, 32/11.5/r15

'07 Dodge Ram 2500 (DD and Tow Rig) -6 speed with the last of the 5.9 Cummins...

If you wanna know more about the rides or if you need something made just ask! :)
jeepin_in_a_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #197
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so using these stock compressors, there's no harm in ramping up to the pressures you guys are using? 120 or 150psi for example
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #198
jeepin_in_a_94
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
so using these stock compressors, there's no harm in ramping up to the pressures you guys are using? 120 or 150psi for example
you just have to make sure you use a one way check valve on the out going side of the compressor and an inline oilier (filled with atf or air tool oil) on the in going side. the check valve is needed because the compressor will build like 20 pounds in the tank then have to much back pressure from the system to build any more pressure causing the compressor to burn it self out. and the oilier is needed because with no refrigerant (what lubricated it before) it will fry the compressor also.

'07 Dodge Ram 2500 (DD and Tow Rig) -6 speed with the last of the 5.9 Cummins...

If you wanna know more about the rides or if you need something made just ask! :)
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #199
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ooohhhh ok gotcha. makes sense now, thanks a lot man.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #200
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

I am thinking of doing this conversion to a 04 wj ac unit I believe it is a Denso 10pa17e model and doesnt have the connection lines like the xjs do. I do not have the stock ac anymore as I sold them. Are suggestions for how to hook up the air input and output on the compressor itself?
WJDesertRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #201
matthewh_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just cut the old hoses and tapped into them with barb fittings
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
When a girl tells you your flex is sexy then you are doing something right in life.
matthewh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #202
RickyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterXJ View Post
My tank I used an old firefighter oxygen tank
Out of curiosity...How well would this set up work? Thinking this was the way I wanted to set it up, but was un-sure of its effectivness with the air having to flow backwards into the outlet.
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #203
MeanGreenBean
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome right up and discussion. Just convinced me it was easy enough for me to do!
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #204
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

In response to the person asking about the output pressure, the high-side pressure on a properly working A/C system is around 300 psi. No, I don't think 150 psi will hurt it.....

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #205
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar View Post
Thanks guys.. as for parts, i may miss a couple things but here are the basics:

1.A/C compressor (obviously)
2.About 30 feet of 3/8th air hose
3.Air filter
4.Lots of 1/4 NPT to 3/8 hose barb fittings.
5.Inline air tool oiler
6.Check valve.
7.Air manifold
8.Saftey reliefe valve
9.Pressure switch
10.Tank
11.Oil recovery filter
12.Hose quick connects and other fittings
13. switch.
I read this whole thread, this is the best thread I have seen yet on JF, a HUGE round of applause for Russo! ! ! !

To make sure I have all this right, the check valve is what prevents the pressure from feeding back in to the compressor?

What is NPT stand for?

I noticed someone say they got a compressor made just for OBA that doesnt need an oiler, what kind of compressor was that and do you have a link to a supplier?

My TJ is the 2.5, and was never equipped with an a/c, but the mount is there, will I need just a longer serpentine belt or will I have to add another idler pulley as well?

Thank you for all the replies everyone has made, this has been the greatest example of Jeep guys helping each other out and no bickering, its awesome.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #206
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post

To make sure I have all this right, the check valve is what prevents the pressure from feeding back in to the compressor?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
What is NPT stand for?
National Pipe Thread
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #207
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin_in_a_94 View Post
you just have to make sure you use a one way check valve on the out going side of the compressor and an inline oilier (filled with atf or air tool oil) on the in going side. the check valve is needed because the compressor will build like 20 pounds in the tank then have to much back pressure from the system to build any more pressure causing the compressor to burn it self out. and the oilier is needed because with no refrigerant (what lubricated it before) it will fry the compressor also.
Does the check valve need to have a set spring for pressure or can it be loose?
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #208
jeepin_in_a_94
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJDesertRacer View Post
Does the check valve need to have a set spring for pressure or can it be loose?
i just have a loose one that you can buy at a local hardware store and it seems to work just fine... at least ive had no issues with it yet (crossing fingers knocking on wood lol). i picked that style because that is the one that RUSSO showed in his pictures of his original write up and if it worked for him then i assumed it would work for me.

Unread 11-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #209
jahlborn
2006 WK 

Here is a layout my buddy drew up for another forum our local club has. I found this very helpful when I put my setup together.

1988 Comanche-New Project
jahlborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #210
WJDesertRacer
2004 WJ 

Installed an oba few weeks ago. Worked great until last weekend. It appears now that my compressor is causing my wiring to short out.

After trouble shooting I learned that only plugging the compressor into the wiring causes fuse to blow.

I have a Denso compressor off an 04 wj

Any ideas what is causing this

IFS WJ dual sport
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-west-coast-style-1172706/[/url]

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.