A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 09-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #151
Old99Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I know its been discussed earlier, but none of the previous posts solve my problem. I am using the Sanden Compressor, and an inline tool oiler, however I can hear the poor compressor starting to squeal with just the oiler alone. I feel like it needs more oil than the inline can provide, and this is possibly because the inline oiler is meant to be under pressure, aka not in an intake setup. I read something about putting grease directly into the compressor itself. Does this actually work / is it suggested?

Here is a picture of my setup, right at the compressor. I bought the tool oiler from sears for $10 so i don't know if its different from the others I've seen in previous posts.

Old99Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #152
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old99Cherokee View Post
Ok, I know its been discussed earlier, but none of the previous posts solve my problem. I am using the Sanden Compressor, and an inline tool oiler, however I can hear the poor compressor starting to squeal with just the oiler alone. I feel like it needs more oil than the inline can provide, and this is possibly because the inline oiler is meant to be under pressure, aka not in an intake setup. I read something about putting grease directly into the compressor itself. Does this actually work / is it suggested?

Here is a picture of my setup, right at the compressor. I bought the tool oiler from sears for $10 so i don't know if its different from the others I've seen in previous posts.
Try a mist oiler, theyre a little more pricey but seem to work well.. and i wouldnt use grease.. maybe set up a little port where you can add some oil directly into the line occasionaly
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #153
Old99Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure the mist oiler will work for me, the only way I got the squeal to go away is to drip tool oil directly into the compressor, fairly quick drip too. Also I'm pretty much out of money when it comes to this project. I appreciate your advice though. Any suggestions on how to set up the add oil port? This Sanden says it has a 240cc oil reservoir using SP-20 compressor oil, could this be of any use or no because that would only oil the internal side of the compressor? If you need more pictures let me know.
Unread 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #154
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sorry about bringing up an old thread but it better then being yelled at for starting a new one.

I don't see a full agreement on what oil is actually being used in the oiler. i saw air tool oil mentioned, is that what everyone is using? what about PAG oil which is the oil used to lubricate the a/c compressor when its functioning for a/c.
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #155
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you can use almost anything but i try to stay away from anything to thick, recently ive been using marvel mystery oil, seems to work well.
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #156
Old99Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So far I have used the air tool oil which when added in large amounts before the compressor is started seems to work for about 3 mins before a wearing sound appears. Then I tried using WD-40 while the compressor is running, adding it every minute or so, or when the wearing sound reappears. So far this has kept my compressor alive, but it burns through a bit of oil and requires too much attention for it to used effectively. Next I am going to try some PAG-20. I'm not sure of the best way to "add" it though. Should I add it to the intake before I start the compressor? Should I put it in the so far useless oiler I bought? If I get my hands on some of that mystery oil, how should I use it?
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #157
Old99Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

PAG-20 didn't work, am doubtful of the mystery oil, any suggestions as to how to add the mystery oil to the system?...really trying to avoid the $40 mist oiler because I am not sure it will work.
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #158
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I rarely add any oil to mine. Maybe its just lazyness and thinking it will be ok but so far it has been. I only use it to air up 4 tires. I can go from 8psi to 28 psi in less then 5 minutes per tire when everyone else is still airing up

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #159
JACFF7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

great thread lots of details awesome job. thanks.. was thinking of putting in air horns. so this answered the couple of my questions.. great can run air tools aso.

87 YJ 4.2l
nuttered,4bbl Holley, Offy int, pacesetter header, down tube,
2-1/2 out back. hei.. Clear round 24 diode taillights.
JACFF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #160
MLTXJ9889
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Good write up. I have a friend who is going to do this soon. I would but I rusted my A/C compressor when I flooded it so now I just have a by pass pulley haha.
MLTXJ9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #161
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old99Cherokee View Post
PAG-20 didn't work, am doubtful of the mystery oil, any suggestions as to how to add the mystery oil to the system?...really trying to avoid the $40 mist oiler because I am not sure it will work.
sounds like you just have a bad compressor.. even rotary compressors, like the sanden, will keep some oil in the compressor, it doesn't all just blow through. Try a different compressor.
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #162
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

started gathering all the parts for this today.. all i need is an air tank the manifold and the hose n some fittings... getting the hose n my old freon drained tmrw for FREE!!!!
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #163
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Walmart sells an ideal 5 gallon tank for $25. They also have a 7 gallon for a few bucks more. The only disadvantage to them is they only have the one 1/4" inlet/outlet.

Manifolds, hoses and fittings can be gotten at any Harbor Freight.

I did my setup slightly different. I currently have no filter or oiler on the input of the compressor. But I have a spare compressor just in case. I've used the hell out of mine (probably filled my 5 gallon tank 100-150 times now) and have had no issues.

I come off the output of the compressor and immediately go down to 1/4" hoses. Then I have my manifold right behind the battery. There I have the pressure switch and the output to the dash mounted gauge. Then I ran a 1/4" hose to the rear compartment where there's another manifold with another gauge and the safety valve. This is mounted right to the tank. Then I have a 1/4" coil hose with a quick disconnect.

Things I would do different on my install :

1. Run 1/2" hoses and fittings. 1/4" is okay, but there's been a couple times I could have done with better air flow.
2. Put a 4 way manifold instead of the 3 way up front and run a front quick disconnect.
3. Put in a 100/125psi switch instead of the 70/100 I have now.
4. Instead of the tank mounted coil hose I should have made a rear bumper quick disconnect and put the male end on the hose instead of having it screwed into the manifold. The hose sometimes gets in the way and has been pinched twice now.
5. I would also make the tank quick disconnect as there's times I don't need it in there and would be nice to be able to remove it. As it stands now, I need a couple wrenches and 10 minutes to take it out.

I couldn't be happier with my system. I have aired a 235/75R15 from off the bead to 44psi in around a minute. Donut spares take seconds. I really do need to redo the system with 1/2" hoses as the way it is I cannot run an air impact. Just not enough airflow.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #164
kjf45
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You got any pictures of your system ? Sounds pretty close to what I was thinking about doing but putting disconnects on at the tank for easy removal.
kjf45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #165
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I'll get some in the morning. Not really a lot to see, though. Just a big fat black hose coming off the compressor into the check valve, then a tool hose goes to the manifold. Then an orange 1/4" hose disappears under the firewall to the back.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.