A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #136
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

highly interesting...
*subscribes*

has anyone made schematics of their wiring / hosing?

Im considering running some train horns but im just now researching what my options are as far as getting air to them.

Unread 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #137
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good thread. Full of useful information.
Thought I would post a pic of my oba to add to the list of them shown in this thread.

I did not run a hose/connect to the rear of my heep, as a 30 foot length of hose reaches all my needs and reduces the amount of hose/connections required to operate.(K.I.S.S.)

Particulars:
Extreme flow compressor made for oba and brand new. Mount is home made. Needs NO constant lube! That's why I chose this compressor
Hoses, copper tube and connections are from Home Depot
Manifold from Northern Tools
Pressure regulator is from ARB, as I have dual air lockers, and need the pressure to be set for them(90psi on/105 off)
Pressure relief valve, check valve, and gauge from a local pneumatic store
Air tank is small, about 8inches around and 16 long(2 gals?) from a Kenworth 18 wheeler to power the air horns(cheap)

The air tank will hold enough air to cycle the air lockers on/off about 15-20 times
It gets hot, that's why the soft copper tube coming from the compressor to the tank and from the tank to the manifold. There is 5 feet of 3/8 inch dia. copper tube in that coil(if you look, you will see the coil is the exact size of one of those round bulk CD dispensers.
I added a thumb throttle( IMO only for a manual trans as it CAN be dangerous without a clutch pedal to disengage it quickly) to ramp up the cfm for tires.
I get my fresh air from the grill as the air under the hood is already hot, and putting hot air in an already hot compressor makes little sence, this little detail reduces the temp quite a bit.
The air tank is secured under the battery tray with big hose clamps. Works, simple, easy.

OVERVIEW:

I did not have factory air so I needed to add a second idler pulley:

The tank under the batteries:

Sorry for the LOONG post...
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #138
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went the york route, but here's what i did to keep temps down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #139
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Good thread. Full of useful information.
Thought I would post a pic of my oba to add to the list of them shown in this thread.

I did not run a hose/connect to the rear of my heep, as a 30 foot length of hose reaches all my needs and reduces the amount of hose/connections required to operate.(K.I.S.S.)

Particulars:
Extreme flow compressor made for oba and brand new. Mount is home made. Needs NO constant lube! That's why I chose this compressor
Hoses, copper tube and connections are from Home Depot
Manifold from Northern Tools
Pressure regulator is from ARB, as I have dual air lockers, and need the pressure to be set for them(90psi on/105 off)
Pressure relief valve, check valve, and gauge from a local pneumatic store
Air tank is small, about 8inches around and 16 long(2 gals?) from a Kenworth 18 wheeler to power the air horns(cheap)

The air tank will hold enough air to cycle the air lockers on/off about 15-20 times
It gets hot, that's why the soft copper tube coming from the compressor to the tank and from the tank to the manifold. There is 5 feet of 3/8 inch dia. copper tube in that coil(if you look, you will see the coil is the exact size of one of those round bulk CD dispensers.
I added a thumb throttle( IMO only for a manual trans as it CAN be dangerous without a clutch pedal to disengage it quickly) to ramp up the cfm for tires.
I get my fresh air from the grill as the air under the hood is already hot, and putting hot air in an already hot compressor makes little sence, this little detail reduces the temp quite a bit.
The air tank is secured under the battery tray with big hose clamps. Works, simple, easy.

OVERVIEW:

I did not have factory air so I needed to add a second idler pulley:

The tank under the batteries:

Sorry for the LOONG post...
Nice, where did you put the regulator, im curious for when/if i do ARB's with mine because my pressure switch kicks off at 150 so ill deff need to run a regulator. By the way in case anyone is interested i recently scrapped this jeep but the compressor and system was still running great and after constant abuse i never had an issue, though with my new jeep i will be going the york route just because i have one, ill update when thats done.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #140
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar View Post
Nice, where did you put the regulator, im curious for when/if i do ARB's with mine because my pressure switch kicks off at 150 so ill deff need to run a regulator.
The regulator came from ARB for operating their lockers. It is mounted in the manifold. In my pic, it is second thing on the right side of the manifold(to the right of the gauge).
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #141
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
The regulator came from ARB for operating their lockers. It is mounted in the manifold. In my pic, it is second thing on the right side of the manifold(to the right of the gauge).
Hm, that looks like a pressure switch.. (not the same as a regulator) Is that what you mean?
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #142
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

Anyone know where I can get a pressure switch to turn on at anywhere around 90-100PSI and turn off at 125PSI?
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #143
impboy65
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ebay has tons for 20-40 bucks!
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #144
gamma
1994 XJ Cherokee 

were did you get your check valve? i cant find it anywere.

Thanks
gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #145
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
were did you get your check valve? i cant find it anywere.

Thanks
Sears hardware in the plumbing section..
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #146
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

how much work time did the entire project
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #147
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
how much work time did the entire project
probably a day..
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #148
StreetBMXer88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

hey, great writeup. where did you get that mount youre using for the manifold? thanks
StreetBMXer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #149
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I love mine and as it turns out alot of my fellow club members do too!!. It super fast at airing up Im very popular at the end of trail rides.
Not complaining,,,,,always glad to help!

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #150
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBMXer88 View Post
hey, great writeup. where did you get that mount youre using for the manifold? thanks
This was awhile back but i just made a little peice out of aluminum i think, used the fitting for the bottom airline to secure, used a rubber bushing so that it had a snug fit without interfering with the fitting sealing.

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.