A/C to OBA conversion write up -PICS - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 297 Old 03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
0okamiDigital
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 594
highly interesting...
*subscribes*

has anyone made schematics of their wiring / hosing?

Im considering running some train horns but im just now researching what my options are as far as getting air to them.

0okamiDigital is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 297 Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
jeepster93
Registered User
 
jeepster93's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 4,373
Good thread. Full of useful information.
Thought I would post a pic of my oba to add to the list of them shown in this thread.

I did not run a hose/connect to the rear of my heep, as a 30 foot length of hose reaches all my needs and reduces the amount of hose/connections required to operate.(K.I.S.S.)

Particulars:
Extreme flow compressor made for oba and brand new. Mount is home made. Needs NO constant lube! That's why I chose this compressor
Hoses, copper tube and connections are from Home Depot
Manifold from Northern Tools
Pressure regulator is from ARB, as I have dual air lockers, and need the pressure to be set for them(90psi on/105 off)
Pressure relief valve, check valve, and gauge from a local pneumatic store
Air tank is small, about 8inches around and 16 long(2 gals?) from a Kenworth 18 wheeler to power the air horns(cheap)

The air tank will hold enough air to cycle the air lockers on/off about 15-20 times
It gets hot, that's why the soft copper tube coming from the compressor to the tank and from the tank to the manifold. There is 5 feet of 3/8 inch dia. copper tube in that coil(if you look, you will see the coil is the exact size of one of those round bulk CD dispensers.
I added a thumb throttle( IMO only for a manual trans as it CAN be dangerous without a clutch pedal to disengage it quickly) to ramp up the cfm for tires.
I get my fresh air from the grill as the air under the hood is already hot, and putting hot air in an already hot compressor makes little sence, this little detail reduces the temp quite a bit.
The air tank is secured under the battery tray with big hose clamps. Works, simple, easy.


OVERVIEW:


I did not have factory air so I needed to add a second idler pulley:


The tank under the batteries:



Sorry for the LOONG post...
jeepster93 is offline  
post #138 of 297 Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er
 
Divinitous's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY/NJ/PA Tri-State Middletown NY 10941
Posts: 3,185
I went the york route, but here's what i did to keep temps down.

-Ryan
Google Voice (or the number Grape calls when drunk): 845-476-8182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline  
post #139 of 297 Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Good thread. Full of useful information.
Thought I would post a pic of my oba to add to the list of them shown in this thread.

I did not run a hose/connect to the rear of my heep, as a 30 foot length of hose reaches all my needs and reduces the amount of hose/connections required to operate.(K.I.S.S.)

Particulars:
Extreme flow compressor made for oba and brand new. Mount is home made. Needs NO constant lube! That's why I chose this compressor
Hoses, copper tube and connections are from Home Depot
Manifold from Northern Tools
Pressure regulator is from ARB, as I have dual air lockers, and need the pressure to be set for them(90psi on/105 off)
Pressure relief valve, check valve, and gauge from a local pneumatic store
Air tank is small, about 8inches around and 16 long(2 gals?) from a Kenworth 18 wheeler to power the air horns(cheap)

The air tank will hold enough air to cycle the air lockers on/off about 15-20 times
It gets hot, that's why the soft copper tube coming from the compressor to the tank and from the tank to the manifold. There is 5 feet of 3/8 inch dia. copper tube in that coil(if you look, you will see the coil is the exact size of one of those round bulk CD dispensers.
I added a thumb throttle( IMO only for a manual trans as it CAN be dangerous without a clutch pedal to disengage it quickly) to ramp up the cfm for tires.
I get my fresh air from the grill as the air under the hood is already hot, and putting hot air in an already hot compressor makes little sence, this little detail reduces the temp quite a bit.
The air tank is secured under the battery tray with big hose clamps. Works, simple, easy.


OVERVIEW:


I did not have factory air so I needed to add a second idler pulley:


The tank under the batteries:



Sorry for the LOONG post...
Nice, where did you put the regulator, im curious for when/if i do ARB's with mine because my pressure switch kicks off at 150 so ill deff need to run a regulator. By the way in case anyone is interested i recently scrapped this jeep but the compressor and system was still running great and after constant abuse i never had an issue, though with my new jeep i will be going the york route just because i have one, ill update when thats done.
RussoGuitar is offline  
post #140 of 297 Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
jeepster93
Registered User
 
jeepster93's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoGuitar View Post
Nice, where did you put the regulator, im curious for when/if i do ARB's with mine because my pressure switch kicks off at 150 so ill deff need to run a regulator.
The regulator came from ARB for operating their lockers. It is mounted in the manifold. In my pic, it is second thing on the right side of the manifold(to the right of the gauge).
jeepster93 is offline  
post #141 of 297 Old 03-24-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
The regulator came from ARB for operating their lockers. It is mounted in the manifold. In my pic, it is second thing on the right side of the manifold(to the right of the gauge).
Hm, that looks like a pressure switch.. (not the same as a regulator) Is that what you mean?
RussoGuitar is offline  
post #142 of 297 Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
HighFive
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 1,201
Anyone know where I can get a pressure switch to turn on at anywhere around 90-100PSI and turn off at 125PSI?

[/color]
Let's go Flyer's!!!!!!
HighFive is offline  
post #143 of 297 Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM
impboy65
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 218
ebay has tons for 20-40 bucks!

01 TJ stock for now! OlllllllO
impboy65 is offline  
post #144 of 297 Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
gamma
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mexico
Posts: 3
were did you get your check valve? i cant find it anywere.

Thanks
gamma is offline  
post #145 of 297 Old 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
were did you get your check valve? i cant find it anywere.

Thanks
Sears hardware in the plumbing section..
RussoGuitar is offline  
post #146 of 297 Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM
jaspepp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: boise
Posts: 421
Garage
how much work time did the entire project
jaspepp is offline  
post #147 of 297 Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspepp View Post
how much work time did the entire project
probably a day..
RussoGuitar is offline  
post #148 of 297 Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
StreetBMXer88
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 92
hey, great writeup. where did you get that mount youre using for the manifold? thanks
StreetBMXer88 is offline  
post #149 of 297 Old 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
YJames90
Registered User
 
YJames90's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 6,979
I love mine and as it turns out alot of my fellow club members do too!!. It super fast at airing up Im very popular at the end of trail rides.
Not complaining,,,,,always glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Spring Over is not for you.... yet





My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline  
post #150 of 297 Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
RussoGuitar
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Milford, NJ
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBMXer88 View Post
hey, great writeup. where did you get that mount youre using for the manifold? thanks
This was awhile back but i just made a little peice out of aluminum i think, used the fitting for the bottom airline to secure, used a rubber bushing so that it had a snug fit without interfering with the fitting sealing.
RussoGuitar is offline  
Reply

Tags
ac , ac to oba , compressor , conversion , oba conversion , sanden , xj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
ZJ Rear Disc Conversion to 8.25" Write Up - The Whole Truth!!! TPI Monte SS XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 47 08-21-2013 09:34 AM
LED Panel Lights Conversion Write-up Islandroaddie96 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 24 06-13-2011 05:50 AM
waggy front conversion write up? T4STE XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 9 01-12-2007 08:57 AM
8.25 rear disc conversion - Write up AMK XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 5 08-05-2004 10:00 AM
8.25 rear disc conversion - Pics & Write up soon AMK XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 12 08-04-2004 05:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome