A/C not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C not working

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A/C not working

I recently replaced my A/C clutch and compressor but now there is no A/C and no heat. I checked the clutch and its spinning, the compressor is on, and the lines are cold so there's freon in the lines, and I checked the fuse panel and they're all fine. Idk what else the problem could be...

99_XJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you say no a/c and no heat. is your fan speeds working ? do you feel air blowing out of the dash vents ? you say you changed the compressor, did you bring it to a shop to have the a/c recharged ?
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanTJ View Post
you say no a/c and no heat. is your fan speeds working ? do you feel air blowing out of the dash vents ? you say you changed the compressor, did you bring it to a shop to have the a/c recharged ?
no fan speeds working at all and there is minimal air coming out of the vents and I had it recharged too... I had a friend tell me it could be the resistor but idk...
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like the blower motor resistor is bad, common on jeeps. Or could be a bad blower motor. Id test/replace the resistor first.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a bad fuse or blower motor. although blower motor resistors do get corroded and go bad, usually you will have high still. you can start by checking it though, its accessable under the passenger dash. the blower motor can be pulled out from under the hood, on the passenger side firewall, 3 or 4 bolts hold it in
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a shematic of the blower motor circuit. Note the fuse.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

how would i go about testing to see if there is orient a problem with the motor/resistor?
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_XJ_ View Post
I recently replaced my A/C clutch and compressor but now there is no A/C and no heat. I checked the clutch and its spinning, the compressor is on, and the lines are cold so there's freon in the lines, and I checked the fuse panel and they're all fine. Idk what else the problem could be...
You say "no heat" and "no A/C". I assume you really mean the blower that pushes air through the heater box is not working. Am I correct?

If so, check the two fuses noted by others in the schematic they posted.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
You say "no heat" and "no A/C". I assume you really mean the blower that pushes air through the heater box is not working. Am I correct?

If so, check the two fuses noted by others in the schematic they posted.
I checked the fuses and they weren't blown how would I check to see if the motor is blown?
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you own a VOM? If not, you can pick one up for about $15 at Radio Shack or most home improvement stores. Use that, along with the schematic posted above, and you can figure out where you loose the 12V that drives the blower motor.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.