A/C Low Pressure Switch Jump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Low Pressure Switch Jump

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A/C Low Pressure Switch Jump

Hi all,

I wrote a previous post about my AC being finicky. I got some great responses but now I need some help with the tests, specifically "bypassing" the low pressure switch to see if my clutch engages when the engine is hot and it turns off. I am just not sure which plugs to cross or which ones to test for voltage. I've read through a bunch of old posts but there aren't any walk throughs for how to actually do this test. I'm a visual learner so any pictures or videos would help a lot, just hit 103 today!!!

99 XJ 4.0 4x4

RABBIDCOW55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBIDCOW55 View Post
Hi all,

I wrote a previous post about my AC being finicky. I got some great responses but now I need some help with the tests, specifically "bypassing" the low pressure switch to see if my clutch engages when the engine is hot and it turns off. I am just not sure which plugs to cross or which ones to test for voltage. I've read through a bunch of old posts but there aren't any walk throughs for how to actually do this test. I'm a visual learner so any pictures or videos would help a lot, just hit 103 today!!!

99 XJ 4.0 4x4
You will want to jump the two pin cavities in the Low Pressure Cycling Switch on top of the AC Accumulator (see pic). Use a paper clip to jump the cavities, but do not shove the clip wires into the cavities unless you hammer or file the wire ends down so they fit the cavities snugly but do not expand them too much.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just what I was looking for also, if it does end up being a bad pressure switch, do I have to completely evacuate the system or just be very quick with mt hands.... (that's what she said)
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBIDCOW55 View Post
Just what I was looking for also, if it does end up being a bad pressure switch, do I have to completely evacuate the system or just be very quick with mt hands.... (that's what she said)
Before changing the switch, you should determine if your refrigerant is fully charged. If, by jumping the switch the Compressor Clutch pulls in it doesn't mean the switch is bad. If the system pressure is too low a normally operating switch will open and shut the system down. Do you know how to check your system pressure?

Also, know that there is a AC Compressor Clutch relay in the PDC and a fuse in the PDC for the clutch relay, and a fuse in the JB for the clutch relay.

If you need to change the switch it can be removed and you won't lose pressure.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I jumped the switch: no clutch engagment when hot. I swapped the relay from a working XJ: same story. Checked the pressure: 30lbs. I think next I'm gonna jump the high pressure switch on the compressor and run 12v to the clutch. Wish me luck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.