A/C low pressure switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C low pressure switch

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A/C low pressure switch

My a/c compressor / clutch wasnt engaging intermittently, and then quit.
Jumping out the low pressure switch on the accumulator allows it to run.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement at my local Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys because the part description calls it a pressure switch and doesn't specify the low or high side. The part I think is the right one is also described as a binary switch.

Can someone clarify this?

I'm pretty sure this is my only problem since the system appears normal with the switch jumpered out.
Put the guages on and:
Static pressure is about 75lbs, running high side pressure is 260, 300 when the elec fan comes on, and the low is about 34lbs. I think the ambient temp was about 82 deg F at the time. Both sides equalize quickly when shut off.
Its cold at the vents but I dont have a thermometer. I shot it with the infrared one, but it is giving me the plastic duct, not the air exiting the vents.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
jtcnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
jeepman788
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at Jeep-Air.com

Lotza Jeep AC help and parts.

I never dealt with them but their info and parts lists might help.
jeepman788 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman788 View Post
Take a look at Jeep-Air.com

Lotza Jeep AC help and parts.

I never dealt with them but their info and parts lists might help.
I saw them, they dont list XJ parts. I realize the 4.0 is used in the TJ, ZJ and WJ, but I dont know if its the same because the ECUs may be different.

I may give them and the stealership a call if I don't get much action here.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
jtcnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.