A/C drops voltage... why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C drops voltage... why?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
remi
1994 XJ Cherokee 

A/C drops voltage... why?

Hey, I have noticed that when I kick on my A/C, my voltage drops from 13.8 to 12.4... I was curious if this is normal or is something wrong. My A/C blows COLD air, just like new. I know my running voltages because I have a radar detector with voltage meter built in as well as my dash has the voltage meter on it. There is a power lost too. It's not a big power lost, but it's noticable. What could cause this. Thank you in advance.

Remi

PS - I did try searching the forum here but couldn't seem to find anything. Maybe a point in the right direction.

remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe the electric radiator fan is drawing too much juice? With the engine off and cooled down, spin the electric fan by hand. It should spin with a little drag. Is it's really difficult to turn then there's the problem maybe.

Just my .02
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Normal. Not only does the compressor slow the engine down (thus slowing the alternator) but it also kicks the aux fan on which draws a fair amount of amps itself.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
remi
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ehh. My fan turns perfectly fine. I am just not use to having the A/C on the Jeep, not working anyways. That and my other cars didn't show more than a -.2 voltage drop.
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
rokrazy
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep does the same thing, also when i turn the heater on
rokrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
arkieoscar
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine too. The battery is probably seeing higher voltage than what the gauges read. The voltage drop will almost all be from the fans. The compressor will reduce the power available to the trans. but won't slow the alternator as the engine speed is controlled by your foot except at idle where the computer keeps it from dropping.
arkieoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think everyone's does this. The voltage reading is showing voltage after draw. So your battery should still be seeing 13.5 volts, even though your cigarrette lighter only shows 12.4.

The blower has a lot of draw as does the e-fan. If you switch it from a/c to vent, my voltage drop is usually just a little better, but that's because the a/c clutch doesn't kick in, and the e-fan doesn't turn on. But that blower is turning away, so I've always just blamed the blower motor. It's not bad, just power hungry.
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
remi
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, found the problem. It's the blower. The A/C only drops it by .2 volts. Blower drops it from 13.4(+/-) to as low as 11.8 volts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.