A/C Clutch doesn't engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/C Clutch doesn't engage

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Ken89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A/C Clutch doesn't engage

So my a/c clutch doesn't engage when I turn my a/c on. I checked the fuses, replaced the relay, jumpered the low pressure switch, and tried just filling the refrigerant to build pressure to get the clutch to turn on. I'm kinda stuck with what to try next or to look for so any help would be greatly appreciated. The jeep is a 1998 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed.

Ken89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have 12V to the clutch when the pressure switch is jumpered? If so, then you have a clutch issue. Check the air gap and adjust as needed. If that fails, replace the clutch (or compressor).

More details can be found here: http://www.sanden.com/originals/imag...uide_Rev.2.pdf
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.