Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ

I looked through the posting that has all the links to FAQ's and didn't find an answer for this one... does anyone know where I can buy a dummy pulley to replace the air conditioning compressor on a 2001 Cherokee 4WD 4.0L? Or does anyone know of a better way to bypass the compressor?

Monsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I keep reading all over the web about Dorman bypass pulley's but I can never find a part number for a Cherokee! It looks to my like they don't make one... I wonder why??
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/a-c-com...***-34237.html

Looks like Dorman is out of stock on alot of things.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um View Post
Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..
Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsolo View Post
Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.
Ahh ok. Makes sense.

Did you try a junkyard or used auto parts place. Maybe you can find a jeep with the factory ac delete pulley. I've seen one at a junkyard, they are hard to come by...

My clutch went on my compressor. I like AC, but rarely used it.
I got a compressor for 20$ at a junkyard and just swapped over the clutch/bearing.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was almost successful changing from one compressor's clutch/bearing to another unfortunately my original shaft was splined, the new one I got was keyed. Ultimately I replaced the compressor and recharged the Freon. Expensive but nice on hot days!
BTW, there is a thread here somewhere showing how you can use a oil filter wrench to "hold" the clutch from spinning while you remove the nut holding it on to the shaft. Worked perfectly. Alternately you can break the bolt free while it's still on the engine (using the serp belt to hold it still) but I couldn't get a wrench in there. Very tight quarters.
Good luck!
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.
Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237

Quote:
Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...
What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.
I go to the new one over here on South Emerson in Beech Grove. Also, if you look at the link you gave me and select the Jeep models, there are no 2001 model years shown. The regular Cherokee's stop at 2000 and the Cherokee Sport, which is my model, only ranges from 1996 to 1997. For some reason, nobody wants to touch the 2001's!!
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?
Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Monsolo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes
Ok, I'll try it! I'll let ya'll know how it works out...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.