Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ

I looked through the posting that has all the links to FAQ's and didn't find an answer for this one... does anyone know where I can buy a dummy pulley to replace the air conditioning compressor on a 2001 Cherokee 4WD 4.0L? Or does anyone know of a better way to bypass the compressor?

Monsolo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
I keep reading all over the web about Dorman bypass pulley's but I can never find a part number for a Cherokee! It looks to my like they don't make one... I wonder why??
Monsolo is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM
M35A2
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 748
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/a-c-com...***-34237.html

Looks like Dorman is out of stock on alot of things.

Volunteer, American Society of Military History. http://tankland.com/
Just got a 1989 YJ too!
M35A2 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM
cory4um
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Skook
Posts: 609
Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..
cory4um is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um View Post
Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..
Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.
Monsolo is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
cory4um
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Skook
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsolo View Post
Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.
Ahh ok. Makes sense.

Did you try a junkyard or used auto parts place. Maybe you can find a jeep with the factory ac delete pulley. I've seen one at a junkyard, they are hard to come by...

My clutch went on my compressor. I like AC, but rarely used it.
I got a compressor for 20$ at a junkyard and just swapped over the clutch/bearing.
cory4um is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM
ECL
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Easton
Posts: 490
I was almost successful changing from one compressor's clutch/bearing to another unfortunately my original shaft was splined, the new one I got was keyed. Ultimately I replaced the compressor and recharged the Freon. Expensive but nice on hot days!
BTW, there is a thread here somewhere showing how you can use a oil filter wrench to "hold" the clutch from spinning while you remove the nut holding it on to the shaft. Worked perfectly. Alternately you can break the bolt free while it's still on the engine (using the serp belt to hold it still) but I couldn't get a wrench in there. Very tight quarters.
Good luck!
ECL is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville
Posts: 5,464
Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.

96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.
Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!
Monsolo is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...
Monsolo is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville
Posts: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsolo View Post
Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsolo View Post
Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...
What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.

96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237



What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.
I go to the new one over here on South Emerson in Beech Grove. Also, if you look at the link you gave me and select the Jeep models, there are no 2001 model years shown. The regular Cherokee's stop at 2000 and the Cherokee Sport, which is my model, only ranges from 1996 to 1997. For some reason, nobody wants to touch the 2001's!!
Monsolo is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237



What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.
Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?
Monsolo is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler
 
RockRodHooligan's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Noblesville
Posts: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsolo View Post
Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?
Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes

96 XJ:Parking lot Pre-Runner

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Monsolo
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes
Ok, I'll try it! I'll let ya'll know how it works out...
Monsolo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome