JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/bypassing-ac-compressor-2001-xj-1520368/)

Monsolo 05-08-2013 06:21 AM

Bypassing the AC compressor on 2001 XJ
 
I looked through the posting that has all the links to FAQ's and didn't find an answer for this one... does anyone know where I can buy a dummy pulley to replace the air conditioning compressor on a 2001 Cherokee 4WD 4.0L? Or does anyone know of a better way to bypass the compressor?

Monsolo 05-08-2013 06:34 AM

I keep reading all over the web about Dorman bypass pulley's but I can never find a part number for a Cherokee! It looks to my like they don't make one... I wonder why?? :confused:

M35A2 05-08-2013 07:47 AM

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/a-c-com...***-34237.html

Looks like Dorman is out of stock on alot of things.

cory4um 05-08-2013 08:24 AM

Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..

Monsolo 05-08-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cory4um (Post 15404984)
Anything wrong with your compressor?

If the compressors clutch is working, just unplug it..

Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! :thumbsup: I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.

cory4um 05-08-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsolo (Post 15406029)
Yep, the bearings are shot and it squeals like a stuck pig! :thumbsup: I never use the AC anyway so I'd like to just dump the compressor.

Ahh ok. Makes sense.

Did you try a junkyard or used auto parts place. Maybe you can find a jeep with the factory ac delete pulley. I've seen one at a junkyard, they are hard to come by...

My clutch went on my compressor. I like AC, but rarely used it.
I got a compressor for 20$ at a junkyard and just swapped over the clutch/bearing.

ECL 05-08-2013 03:57 PM

I was almost successful changing from one compressor's clutch/bearing to another unfortunately my original shaft was splined, the new one I got was keyed. Ultimately I replaced the compressor and recharged the Freon. Expensive but nice on hot days!
BTW, there is a thread here somewhere showing how you can use a oil filter wrench to "hold" the clutch from spinning while you remove the nut holding it on to the shaft. Worked perfectly. Alternately you can break the bolt free while it's still on the engine (using the serp belt to hold it still) but I couldn't get a wrench in there. Very tight quarters.
Good luck!

RockRodHooligan 05-08-2013 07:21 PM

Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.

Monsolo 05-09-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan (Post 15408031)
Uhhh, if you come see me at the O'Reilly Auto Parts in Westfield, I can have one to you in a few hours if you stop call/stop by before 3:30..... Or any O'Reilly in town, we have 30 of them at our warehouse, or the store on 2915 S Madison Ave has one in stock.

Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!

Monsolo 05-09-2013 07:20 PM

Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...

RockRodHooligan 05-09-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsolo (Post 15412427)
Really?? What's the brand name you carry, if you don't mind my asking. I'll stop by O'Reilly also this evening...

What's your price?

Thanks!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsolo (Post 15413139)
Well, I'm here at O'Reilly and they are saying the same thing I'm finding on the internet: nobody makes one! They can't find a part number... do you have a part number? I'll then go back and ask them to find it. Keep in mind it's a 2001 Cherokee...

What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.

Monsolo 05-09-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan (Post 15413209)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237



What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.

I go to the new one over here on South Emerson in Beech Grove. Also, if you look at the link you gave me and select the Jeep models, there are no 2001 model years shown. The regular Cherokee's stop at 2000 and the Cherokee Sport, which is my model, only ranges from 1996 to 1997. For some reason, nobody wants to touch the 2001's!! :confused:

Monsolo 05-09-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan (Post 15413209)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=34237



What one are you going to? There are guys that know what they are doing better than others, I may know a guy at the store to ask for.

Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?

RockRodHooligan 05-10-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsolo (Post 15413763)
Do you think that particular Dorman will fit my Jeep even though 2001's aren't listed? In other words, do you have absolute knowledge that it will?

Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes

Monsolo 05-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan (Post 15415300)
Considering that they used the same a/c compressor from 97-01, and this mounts in place of the a/c compressor.... Yes

Ok, I'll try it! :thumbsup: I'll let ya'll know how it works out... :cheers2:


The time now is 03:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.