Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

bypass heater control valve for heat?

13K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sAe23 
#1 ·
I have a 90 Cherokee limited, no heat. Wanna bypass heater control valve for heat throughout winter, would this method work after flushing the heater core for temporary heat to keep the kids warm? Also.... would I be able to cut off the valve to reconnect steel line to the rubber hose instead of buying hose to do a direct bypass? If I do this and the motor continued to heat up past 210, what other problems could be cause of over heating? Also wondering if all vents would work as normal if the vacuum line remains attached to the valve after being cut from the coolant line, or if plugging the line would be effective as well... thanks for reading

#5 ·
If the OP eliminated the HCV in his closed system he'd need to re-plumb the pressure bottle or just swap the whole thing over to an open system.

But I agree about the HCV. Both my rigs are swapped over to open systems and neither have valves. Heat works great.

#9 ·
I have a 90 Cherokee limited, no heat. Wanna bypass heater control valve for heat throughout winter, would this method work after flushing the heater core for temporary heat to keep the kids warm? Also.... would I be able to cut off the valve to reconnect steel line to the rubber hose instead of buying hose to do a direct bypass? If I do this and the motor continued to heat up past 210, what other problems could be cause of over heating? Also wondering if all vents would work as normal if the vacuum line remains attached to the valve after being cut from the coolant line, or if plugging the line would be effective as well... thanks for reading
Have you determined that there is an actual problem with the valve? Is it stuck closed?
And are you also having a problem with the engine over heating? (Silly question, it's a Jeep after all...)
Maybe both issues are being caused by an air pocket in the system??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.