Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Buying another Jeep, need advice please.

641 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  substrate001 
#1 ·
Hello, I already own a '98 XJ and love it. So, my younger sister wants to buy a XJ too. We found a red '99 XJ 4x4 in great condition cosmetic-wise, but we haven't had a chance to drive it or get it inspected yet. The only thing I am concerned about is that it has 215k miles. It has the I-6 engine, auto tranny (aw-4), and I know they will last a long time if you take care of them. Oh, you're probably wondering the asking price. He's the original owner, privite party, and is asking for $4000.

What do you guys think? Will this Jeep be a good, reliable college vehicle. Or should we keep looking?

Also, if she does go for this one, what problems may she encounter down the road with a high-mileage Jeep?

Thanks for any input you guys can give me, for this is her first Jeep...well, first vehicle for that matter.

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
That's a lot of miles, but given that it's that "newer," they were probably mostly highway miles. Just look for the usual things - fluid condition, noises, sensor changes etc. . . I would think that if everything checks out, you found your deal. You can probably knock a couple hundred off the price too, if you want.

Good Luck, :thumbsup:

Peter

#3 ·
Thanks! We are going to go check it out and make sure that everything's ok. As far as the exterior/interior goes, it looks great. We just need to inspect all the usual stuff, then take it to our trusted mechanic to get it looked at. And yeah, I'm pretty sure we can lower the price. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Yea, being that new it sounds like highway miles. 202K on my odometer and still running strong. I dunno though, you could prolly pull another 30k out of it easily enough.
Some seafoam would prolly do it some wonders!

#5 ·
:thumbsup: Sounds like a good find! My 90 has 212,000 miles and still runs great. Be sure to look under the vehicle for signs of leaking fluids. If anything looks wet with oil, trans fluid, etc. have it checked by a mechanic to find out the cause before you buy. Unless the owner has service records showing a recent oil change, trans fluid and filter change, diff fluids, etc. you should really get that done, or do it yourself. I agree w/ the other posts; prob just hwy miles- not too tough on an XJ. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.