Bushwacker fender flares on a XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bushwacker fender flares on a XJ

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 01-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Jeep-Guy

Bushwacker fender flares on a XJ

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with a 4” lift. I want to install the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares, will they look ok with 31’s or is that too small? If so what size?

Jeep-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
m_w_m

they will look dumb.
m_w_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
Jeep-Guy

What size would you recommend?
Unread 01-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
caz

that's basically what I'm doing here in the next month or so but with 33's
4.5" lift w/ bushwacker's and 33x11.50/12.50
currently running just 3" with 31's..
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
dynamite44

i think they look dumb.

5 inch lift with 31s and bushwhackers. found this on ebay a few months ago.

31s look small under bushwhackers on XJs, it doesn't really matter how much lift in my opinion.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Escout03
1998 ZJ 

I have them and hate them. They will eventually crack and become brittle and you are left with holes drilled all over.

I color matched mine to look a lil better mainly because I've got a black XJ. If your looking to blow alot of money on something pointless, like I did two years ago, than get em. If not stay far away. -steve
Escout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
wipedawg

if you need them to be legal, then thats what you have to do. I ran them on mine and i didn't mind them, but for offroading i sure coulda done better without them. It would have allowed for more uptravel if they weren't on there.
I ran them with 33's and 35's... and they still made the 33's look small.
33's

35's

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
wipedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodrichXJ
I have them and hate them. They will eventually crack and become brittle and you are left with holes drilled all over.

I color matched mine to look a lil better mainly because I've got a black XJ. If your looking to blow alot of money on something pointless, like I did two years ago, than get em. If not stay far away. -steve
Why are you running so much lift? Do you offroad at all?

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
B1KEME
2005 WK 

Well for those of you who don't like your bushwackers you can send them to me. I get tired of not having flares cause every little puddle I drive through completely covers my car with dirt. Every once and a while i like to have a clean jeep.
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
provkicker11

I have a 5 inch lift on a 98 xj and i am running 33's. I do not recomend them unless you have at least 35's. I don't like them and I would much rather have spent my money on something usefull.
provkicker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

I think they look sick personally, I have to have them when I jump to more lift and 35s, so I am planning on buying them when the time comes
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
00XJEric

they don't look good w/ 31's. They look best w/ 33's or bigger. They will make 31's look really small....and there small to begin with. Rusty's flares might be better or just trim some sheet metal and move the existing ones up. Theres a write up on here somewhere.

04 VW GTi
99 Honda Civic Dx
00 XJ Sport - Sold =(
00XJEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Jeep-Guy

OK great! Now what would be the best backspacing for them? I'm new to this so I appreciate all of the help that is being offered.
Unread 01-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
TRSCobra
1998 XJ Cherokee 

they do look goofy as hell with 31's : (

And they crack really easily. If only Bushwacker used the same material as the factory flares are made of...
[U]'98 Cherokee Classic[/U]- 31" TrXus M/T's, 3-4" Procomp/Tomken/Rustys lift, Skyjacker t-case drop and stainless brake lines, AJ's rock rails, trimmed fenders (flareless), Aussie'd D30, Poweraid TB spacer, Magnaflow 2.5" cat, Flowtech Terminator muffler, 2.5"exh., 6000k Bi-Xenon HID's, Hella 500's & E-code headlamps, Optima red top, Custom body damage.
[U]'86 Camaro Z28[/U]- 14.15 @ 97mph
TRSCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
JEEPZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSCobra

And they crack really easily. If only Bushwacker used the same material as the factory flares are made of...
I have heard of this many times lately but if you were lucky enough to purchase a set of Bushwackers when they first came out BEFORE they changed the plastic they are made out of, you're out of luck.
The original BW flare were quite flexible. I've smashed mine into rocks, trees and have even managed to tear 3 of my 4 flares off of my Jeep but there is not one single crack on them. In fact, I have had to have them repainted with a more flexible paint due to the paint cracking on the extremely flexible plastic. I even lost a wheel once that jammed itself into the bottom and side of the flare and still with no damage to the flexible flare.

A friend of mine even manage to roll his XJ over WITHOUT cracking a BW flare even though all 4 saw crushing force in the roll over.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...9806980JpiSUz#

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.