Burnt Transmission Fluid, help? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Burnt Transmission Fluid, help?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Does running that fluid depend on the year of the jeep? Ive been running ATF+4 in my 96 because thats what it suggests to use.

Unread 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid is the specified AW-4 fluid in both the Cherokee Owners Manual and the Cherokee Factory Service Manual.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I went through several documents dating back to c. 1987/1988 and gathered up the AW4 transmission fluid recommendations over the years. Here's the data. Note that there is no mention of ATF+3 or +4 in this data. Note also that in '93 Mercon was the ATF recommended, with no mention of Dexron (odd).

ATSG AW4 Service Information Manual, c. 1987/88
Recommended fluid for the AW4 transmission is Jeep or Mopar Mercon automatic transmission fluid. Mopar Dexron II may also be used if Mercon is not available.

1988 Jeep Cherokee FSM
Both transmissions and transfer cases use DEXRON-II ATF.

1989 Ė 1992 (unknown FSM recommendations)

1993 Jeep Cherokee FSM
Aisin Warner AW-4 transmissions and transfer cases use Mercon type ATF.

1994 - 1999 Jeep Cherokee FSM
Recommended and preferred fluid for the AWĖ4 transmission is Mopar Dexron IIE / Mercon.
Mopar Dexron II may/can be used but only in emergency situations where Mercon fluid is not available.
Approximate refill capacity for the AWĖ4 is 8.0 liters (16.9 pints).

2000 Jeep Cherokee FSM
Mopart Dexron IIE / Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmissions. Mopar Dexron II can be used but only if Mercon is not available.

2001 Jeep Cherokee FSM
Mopart Dexron III / Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmissions.
Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid.

November 4th, Don't forget to take the trash out

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

See TSB 21-010-06 4/14/2006

Mopar (R) ATF Plus 4, Type 9602 automatic transmission fluid is the recommended fluid type.

This is what i get from alldata on a 96. Id consult my owners manual, but thats long gone.
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

psycho,

The OP was just asking about what to do with his 'burnt' ATF. And posters with a collective 29,000 + posts under their belts gave their recommendations. Additionally, they recommend using Dex III/Mercon - just what the FSM recommends for the AW4, and nothing else.

If you want to use ATF+4, have at it.

If we have data, letís look at data. If all we have are opinions, letís go with mine.
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im just trying to get the correct information. I felt Alldata was a pretty reliable source. No offense to you or anyone else, but post count is not a factor of knowledge to me. I suppose I can always call and confirm with a dealership as to whats the correct fluid to use. Not arguing the fact that the OP's 98 Cherokee is recommended to use dex/merc, but info I can find on a 96 says ATF+4
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Im just trying to get the correct information. I felt Alldata was a pretty reliable source. No offense to you or anyone else, but post count is not a factor of knowledge to me. I suppose I can always call and confirm with a dealership as to whats the correct fluid to use. Not arguing the fact that the OP's 98 Cherokee is recommended to use dex/merc, but info I can find on a 96 says ATF+4
Sorry about the post count comment. Perhaps it would be more clear to say that the referenced poster's credentials go beyond their post counts on this forum but more so on the years of experience they have.

There have been countless threads on every Jeep forum about ATF for the AW4, going back and forth about ATF+4 vs. Dex/Merc. If you didn't hijack this thread and searched the subject out you could have learned a bunch about ATF choices.

Like I said earlier, do what you want. If ATF+4 seems right for you - do it.

If you call the dealership they will tell you ATF+4 because that's what the current TSB states.

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Page 12 of the AW4 service manual (see link) clearly recommends Mercon (Dexron III) or Dexron II if Mercon is not avalible:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...AW4_manual.PDF

So does Page 220 of the XJ owners manual:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...?utm_source=cj

If you call the dealer they will probably tell you ATF+4 per the 2006 TSB, but the AW4 is NOT a Chrysler transmission and this was only done to reduce the inventory costs of carrying a different fluid. Aisin has never recommended anything other than Mercon/Dexron(II or III depending on year).

ATF+4 may work in an AW4, especially if it is new, recently rebuilt, or has very little wear, however ATF+4 is much thinner than Dexron III/Mercon and is known to cause a significant drop in line pressure which can cause slipping or poor shifts, especially in a worn transmission.

Dexron III/Mercon is also much cheaper and easier to find than ATF+4, so why spend more money on a fluid that might cause problems and isn't recommended by the manufacture of the transmission?
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Page 12 of the AW4 service manual (see link) clearly recommends Mercon (Dexron III) or Dexron II if Mercon is not avalible:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...AW4_manual.PDF

So does Page 220 of the XJ owners manual:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...?utm_source=cj

If you call the dealer they will probably tell you ATF+4 per the 2006 TSB, but the AW4 is NOT a Chrysler transmission and this was only done to reduce the inventory costs of carrying a different fluid. Aisin has never recommended anything other than Mercon/Dexron(II or III depending on year).

ATF+4 may work in an AW4, especially if it is new, recently rebuilt, or has very little wear, however ATF+4 is much thinner than Dexron III/Mercon and is known to cause a significant drop in line pressure which can cause slipping or poor shifts, especially in a worn transmission.

Dexron III/Mercon is also much cheaper and easier to find than ATF+4, so why spend more money on a fluid that might cause problems and isn't recommended by the manufacture of the transmission?
Well said. Completely agree with this assessment.

Some with the AW4 can use ATF+4 with no issues. But some experience "slippage". There are never any issues with Dex/Merc and it will give your transmission a very long service life if the fluid is changed regularly.

Dex/Merc for me and any AW4 transmissions that I service. Why take the chance?
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , maintenance , transmission , transmission fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.